Picking make up colors that suit your skin tone can make such a difference to your appearance. We’ve created this guide to help you choose which colors suit you best and will help you to look and stay amazing!
Light skin tone:
If your hair and eyes are light, that means you have a light skin tone. You have the lightest coloring. If you have pale skin, but dark eyes you fall into a different category.
Deep skin tone:
If people notice your dark hair and dark eyes first, then you have a deep skin tone. Dark skin tones are flattered by bolder shades, so embrace your deep tones and choose striking colors.
Clear skin tone:
If you have bright and clear eyes, you fall into the clear skin tone group. Your coloring is most likely high in contrast and saturation. If you have dark hair and bright blue eyes, you fit into this category.
Soft and muted:
If your coloring is somewhat neutral, with a mix of warm and cool, you are a soft and muted tone. You are neither light nor dark. Warm, autumnal shades suit you better.
Warm skin tone:
If you have an all over glow, you are warm. You have warm and earthy undertones to your skin. Most redheads fall into this category. Neutral shades work best for you, as well as primary colors.
Cool skin tone:
What sets you apart from those with deeper tones is your greyish, softer undertones. If your hair is greying, you most likely fall into this category. Your skin has ashy, cool, or grey undertones. You may have had warmer coloring when you were younger. Shades of pink and purple will warm up your appearance.
There are three colors that will suit everyone no matter what your coloring or tone. These are purple, navy and teal.
To find out more about your skin tone, take the Fitzpatrick skin tone test!
Having scars is something we all go through – some people are proud of them and some are wishing they were never there in the first place.
If you find yourself in the latter category, know that you have the option to help visibly reduce the appearance of scars. There are many natural and inexpensive ingredients that have been proven to help with scarring.
Here’s a quick guide to natural remedies that can help you look as good as new:
Bee Propolis: Otherwise known as “bee glue” propolis is a great and natural product produced by bees that can help reduce the appearance of scars and even help prevent them! Put a light mixture of a little ethanol and bee propolis on any wound to prevent scarring.
Raw Honey: is know for it’s anti-viral properties and has demonstrated proven success with lightening the appearance of scars. Particularly in cases of scarring from acne, honey is a great mask to do 3 times a week for 20 minutes on the infected area.
Rosehip Oil: is great for lightening the appearance of scars. Simply apply a small amount once a day to lighten up dark scars.
Potato Slices: Raw potatoes are rich in minerals like Potassium, Sulphur and Phosphorous which are great for healing scars. Gently rub a potato slice against the scar to help with lessening its appearance.
Turmeric and Yogurt mask: Blend a cup of unsweetened natural yogurt and a tablespoon of turmeric for a healing mask. Tumeric has been well documented as a natural ingredient to help combat the appearance of scars. Take up the efficacy of its healing power with dash of yogurt, which is also known to help heal the skin.
Cocoa Butter: Proven to work best for stretch marks, cocoa butter is a gentle moisturizer that help get rid of your scars – it also smells great!
While a trip to a spa can be a great way to relax, it can also be very expensive.
Instead of spending lots of money on spa baths, follow one of these simple aromatherapy bath salt recipes to get a great spa bath treatment at home.
To start, you need a basic bath salt mix. Mix 1 cup of Epsom salts, 1 cup of kosher salt and ½ cup of baking soda in a jar. Add 20 drops of essential oils. Use around ¼ to ½ a cup per bath.
Now for the essential oils. Depending of what kind of result you are looking for, you can pick from the following:
- 10 drops of lavender + 10 drops of bergamot for total relaxation
- 10 drops of lemon + 10 drops of rosemary to clear you mind
- 10 drops of eucalyptus + 10 drops of peppermint to clear your sinuses
- 5 drops of geranium + 5 drops of rose + 10 drops of lavender for a calming experience
The salts used in these mixes contain minerals that the skin absorbs and can help ease muscle soreness and relieve tension.
So lay back and relax.
And for the perfect feel good moment, try PRONECK Massager. PRONECK uses techniques used in professional spas to ease muscle tension, boost blood circulation in the neck and aid sleep. The 6 computerized programs and 3 massage techniques (heat, low frequency electric impulse and vibration) allow for a personalized treatment every time.
(Do not use PRONECK in or near water)
With the Academy Award nominations recently announced, we thought it would be great to look back over the history of what the winners of the Best Actress award have worn to the ceremony. Which one is your favourite style? And what are your predictions for this year?
Le journal l’Express a dit récemment que l’épilation à la lumière pulsée (ou IPL) est la meilleure méthode pour les hommes en particulier.
Il existe de nombreuses autres façons de s’épiler, telles que la cire, les crèmes et redisons-le l’IPL. Pourquoi donc est-ce l’IPL la meilleure?
Le rasoir : c’est la solution la plus simple si vous êtes pressé(e)s, mais le résultat est toujours à recommencer. En plus il y a des risques de coupures.
Les crèmes dépilatoires : comme avec le rasoir, les crèmes dépilatoires peuvent convenir si on a peu de temps devant soi, mais elles n’offrent pas de résultats à long terme.
La cire : si vous choisissez la cire chaude ou froide, cela demande un peu de courage. Faites attention car qu’il y a un risque de vous brûler. Nous vous recommandons de passer par un institut professionnel si vous n’êtes pas sûr(e)s de votre technique. Les résultats durent un peu plus longtemps qu’avec un rasoir, mais ce n’est pas une méthode longue durée pour se débarrasser des poils indésirables.
French newspaper L’Express has said that IPL is the best method of hair removal for men. There are so many different methods of hair removal, such as wax, creams, shaving and IPL. So what makes IPL the best?
Shaving: shaving is a good option if you’re in a hurry, but it does not bring long-term results. There is also the risk that you could cut yourself.
Hair removal creams: Again, great if you’re in a hurry but they still don’t offer long-term results.
Wax: Whether you go for hot or cold, waxing isn’t for the faint hearted. If it is your first time using hot wax, be aware of burns. We recommend going to a salon if you’re a bit unsure. Waxing does offer slightly longer lasting results than shaving or cream, but it does not permanently reduce the amount of unwanted body hair you have.
IPL: According to L’Express, iintense pulsed light (IPL) is the easiest method for getting rid of unwanted body hair. Sessions at a professional salon can be expensive, but with ELITE by evoDerma there is the option to do it at home yourself. The technique used by ELITE is completely painless to get provessively permanent hair reduction. However, IPL is not for everyone so you must consult our skin type chart before buying ELITE.
To read the original article in French, click here: http://www.lexpress.fr/tendances/soin-homme/epilation-du-maillot-pour-hommes-quelles-solutions_1631680.html#iJf9LEmkwsYCWBMi.99
Want to keep your skin glowing and radiant for years to come? Consider this list as all the essentials in creating your own fountain of youth.
- NOOME Anti-Aging motion device. NOOME use non-invasive sub-dermal technology to actively stimulate skin cell renewal to smooth and soften fine lines and wrinkles.
- Sunscreen SPF 30 for the face and body EVERYDAY, rain or shine. Even when the sun isn’t obviously shining, UV rays can still damage your skin. Choose either a sunscreen, or look for moisturizers or foundations with SPF in already.
- Vitamin C serum. Vitamin C is a powerful anti-oxidant and can help slow the aging process down.
- Olive Oil (1 tbsp per day). Olive oil doesn’t just do good for your outsides, but your insides too!
- Antioxidants – try drinking a cup of green tea every morning!
- Alpha Hydroxyl Acids – Look for an AHA exfoliant!
Sometimes it is just the most basic ingrediants, and tools, that you need to make your skin brilliant!
For more information about NOOME, visit our website: evoDerma.
There are so many benefits to meditation, such as feeling more relaxed and less stressed.
If you are a complete beginner, try following these simple steps to get you on your way to total relaxation.
- Choose a peaceful and quiet place. If the weather is nice enough, maybe a park or garden. Or just anywhere where you can avoid external distractions.
- Wear comfortable clothes and make sure you are not too hot or too cold. If you are, this will be all you’ll be able to think about
- Turn off all gadgets such as TVs and cell phones to further avoid distraction
- Stretch out your muscles. No matter how long you decide to mediate for, you will be sitting in the same position for an extended period of time. Make sure you pick a comfortable sitting position. Whether on a chair, the floor or a cushion, pick whichever feels most comfortable for you.
- Close your eyes. This also helps to block out any external visual stimulation, which can be distracting.
- Follow your breathing. Try and focus on just tour breathing. If your mind starts to wander, which it most probably will, just start back buy focusing on your breathing again.
- If you find it hard to focus solely on your breathing, try repeating a mantra to yourself over and over again. The most traditional mantra is “Om” but you can choose anything you want as long as it is easy to remember.
For another great way to relieve stress and to relax is with our PRONECK neck massager. PRONECK comes with six computerized programs and uses three professional techniques (heat massage, low electric impulse massage and vibration massage), which allows you control over your treatment. You can find more information about PRONECK here on our website.
NOOME has been featured in Elevate magazine! Get your copy now to read all about NOOME, and try it for yourself here: http://evoderma.com/noome-anti-aging-motion.html
Read the full post below:
This handheld anti-aging device uses non-invasive sub-dermal therapy to mechanically stimulate the skin and promote blood circulation in order to boost collagen and elastin production while also smoothing out wrinkles and lines. Each “treatment” course takes only between five to ten minutes and you can doi it while you are watching TV or simply relaxing at home. With both a hard and soft treatment cup you can adjust it to your personal preference, but either way the NOOME is very comfortable when applied to face. Plus since it works with only two AA batteries and can accompany your already established personal skin care regimen, it’s simple to use.”
– ELEVATE magazine January/February 2015 ELEVATE
According to a recent survey of 2000 women in the UK, Audrey Hepburn has fought off stiff competition from modern day beauties to be voted the Biggest Beauty Icon of All Time. The star is best known for her role in the 1961 film Breakfast At Tiffany’s
The vintage beauties Marilyn Monroe, Grace Kelly and Sophia Loren, also filled the second, third and fourth spots respectively.
Beyoncé came in fifth; with fellow modern belles Kate Moss and Scarlet Johansson take the eight and tenth spot.
The full list is:
- Audrey Hepburn.
- Marilyn Monroe
- Grace Kelly
- Sophia Loren
- Brigitte Bardot
- Jean Simmons
- Kate Moss
- Ava Gardner
- Scarlett Johansson
It is great to see that seven out of ten of the Biggest Beauty Icons of All Time predate modern technology such as Photoshop. A real triumph for natural beauty and, even after many years, classic beauties still stay amazing.
Do you agree with this list? Is there anyone you think is missing?
Facial yoga is a great way to help diminish the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. Another great way is to make NOOME part of your daily skincare routine.
NOOME uses non-invasive sub-dermal technology to actively stimulate collagen production and skin cell renewal. What’s even better is that NOOME can be used by both men and women of any age as it also works preventatively!
Find out more about NOOME on our website: www.evoderma.com
Maybe you’ve over done it a bit this holiday season, or you’ve made a new year’s resolution to be a bit more healthy. Either way, we have four healthy and tasty detox water recipes to get your new year off to a good, healthy start!
Cucumber and lemon:
Exactly as the name suggests, add a sliced medium cucumber and a sliced lemon to eight cups of water. Mix in a pitcher and leave in the fridge overnight to sit.
Ginger and lemon:
Ginger is great for helping boost the immune system, which is great if you’re feeling a bit run down too! Add the juice of ½ a lemon to 12 ounces of water, and then grate in ½ inch of root ginger.
Blueberry and orange:
Blueberries are jam packed with anti-oxidants! Mix 6 cups of water in a pitcher with ice cubes, a handful of fresh blueberries and 2 mandarin oranges, peeled and cut into slices.
New Year Detox:
This one is great for making a healthy start to the New Year! Add a handful of raspberries, a sliced grapefruit, half a cucumber, sliced, 2 peeled and cubed pears, and a sprig of fresh mint leaves to 8 cups of water.
It’s that time of year again where there’s a chill in the air, you have to go back to work and you’re not feeling 100%. Sometimes the best cold remedies are natural ones, so try these out and hopefully you’ll be fighting fit in no time.
Garlic: The oils in garlic which make it smell are great decongestants.
Honey: Honey can help ease sore throats, as well as boost immune systems.
Lemon: Lemon juice can help reduce mucus, which will make you feel less bunged up and stuffy.
Echinacea: A study by the University of Connecticut in 2007 found that taking Echinacea supplements can boost your immune system and reduces the chance of you developing a cold. (natsci.edgewood.eu
Ginger: Ginger has many anti-inflammatory properties and helps to warm the body.
Oranges: Oranges, and also carrots, are packed with vitamin c and anti-oxidants which are great for boosting your immune system.
Licorice: Glycyrhizic acid, an ingredient found in licorice root has been shown in some studies to have great anti-inflammatory and anti-viral properties.
Cayenne Pepper: Due its spicy properties, cayenne pepper can help to stimulate sweat glands which can relieve fevers and lower body temperatures.
For a great natural cold remedy, add a teaspoon of cayenne pepper, a teaspoon of honey, half an inch of grated root ginger and two slices of lemon to a mug and pour boiling water over. It is important to drink plenty of fluids and hot drinks can help to make you feel better.
If you are still in need of a pick me up and want something to make you feel better, try evoDerma’s PRONECK neck massager. The six computerized programs can help you to relax and can aid with sleep. PRONECK will give you the ultimate feel good moment! Try PRONECK for yourself http://evoderma.com/pro-neck-massager.html
Dealing with insufferable razor burn when you shave your body?
Here is a complete set of trips and precautions you need to consider before and after taking a razor to your skin.
Follow these and you’ll get the smooth results you want!
- Make sure the razor is fresh and sharp.
- Take a steamy shower before shaving; it will soften the hair.
- Soak your razor in baby oil for a few minutes before shaving.
- Shave with Olive Oil.
- Make sure you are shaving with any form of lubricant, be it shaving cream, olive oil or conditioner.
- Shave WITH the grain – We know some people crave that close shave feeling you get when shaving against the grain, but if you seriously want to avoid razor burn consider shaving with the grain.
- Exfoliate area with a pumice stone or loofah after shaving, this will ensure you are not irritated by ingrown hairs.
- Wash the area after shaving with cold water, this will close up your pores and stop bacteria from seeping in.
- Apply non-scented to deodorant to shaved areas
- Moisturize with coconut oil (link to article)
Or – looking to avoid the trouble of razor burn all together? Then try out ELITE, our at-home IPL device designed to permanently remove hair gently and effectively without the bumps or burns! Find out more here: http://evoderma.com/elite.html
Facial exercises can do wonders for you in the fight against the aging process. For an even better treatment, try NOOME, our anti-aging motion device. NOOME uses non-invasive subdermal technology (NIST) to actively stimulate skin cell renewal and collagen production.
Ever been curious to make your own tinted lip balm?
Thanks to the popularity of DIY websites, pinterest and social media; the Internet has been plagued with not only the miraculous magical properties of coconut oil, but countless recipes for DIY cosmetics.
Well, here at evoDerma we’re going to do the same thing but a little bit different. After becoming interested in making our own tinted lip balms, we quickly became frustrated with how there are an overwhelming amount of recipes out there yet they all vary.
So, after a few trial tests we have finally boiled it down to what may be the first tried and true DIY lip balm recipe that we can guarantee will give you the results you want: consistency, pigment, ease and moisturizing.
Try it out!
- 1 tsp Cocoa Butter
- 1 tsp Coconut oil
- 1/3 tsp beeswax (seriously, a little amount – too much makes the balm hard to use meanwhile a little goes a long way in keeping your balm together)
- Old Eye shadow of your choice – Add an old blush or eye shadow to the mix for a pigmented balm. Keep adding pigment until you get the intensity you want. You may have to use a lot to get a little bit of colour.
- Have an old lipstick you don’t use anymore? Repurpose into a tinted balm / cheek tint by combining it with the above ingredients.
OPTIONAL: Add 2 – 3 drops of an essential oil of your choice to add a little scent to your balm. Our favourite is peppermint!
PRO TIP: Add in some jalapeño seeds into the mix and let heat up with the mixture for about 5 minutes then strain to give your balm a plumping effect.
We found the most effective way to make this balm is by using a double boiler method:
- Fill a pot with about 1/3 water and bring to quick boil
- Cover top of pot with tin foil, creating a “bowl” over the water.
- Mix in all ingredients in the tin foil meanwhile the steam from the boiling water heats up your ingredients.
CAREFUL! Watch out for steam that escapes out the sides of the tinfoil from underneath. The steam can get very hot and easily burn you, so please be cautious!
We’ve all been there, in need of a quick beauty fix and don’t quite have all the products to hand. So we’ll improvise. What’s the worst that can happen? Well stop right there!
Here are some of the worst skincare tricks we’ve heard of, and why they are so bad for you!
- Deodorant: Deodorant is designed for underarms, not your face. The skin on your face needs to breathe and deodorant can stop this. Also, it won’t help your makeup stay in place despite claims made elsewhere on
- Hair colour: You’ve just dyed your hair and you realize that your eyebrows are now completely the wrong shade. You’ve still got some dye left in the bottom of the bottle. Don’t even thing about it! The chemicals in hair dyes can be too irritating for skin around your eyes, and can even burn you. If you want to change your eyebrow color, head to your nearest salon for a tint, or try tinted brow mascara.
- Hairspray: The alcohol in hairspray can seriously dry out your skin. Some may say it will help keep your makeup in place, but drying out your skin will make you look older and can leave your skin red and bumpy, which is a much worse look than smudged mascara.
- Foot cream: Foot creams are formulated to help remove calluses on your feet and often contain chemical exfoliates, which can be really harsh to the skin on your face.
- Body lotion: It can be tempting to use body lotions on your face, but they can do more harm than good. They usually contain fragrances, which can irritate your skin. Instead opt for creams specially designed for your face as these are much more gentle.
There are some things that should never go on your face, no matter what.
The days approaching the New Year have always been a time of reflection – thinking of the past and how we have gotten to where we are today.
This sentiment is very relevant even in the world of skincare and beauty considering the pace at which new and innovative products make their ways into our daily routines. With these constant new advancements, it’s important to take a second and establish just how far we’ve come.
This Skincare Saturday, we will be looking at four of the biggest skincare innovations of 2014 – meanwhile here at evoDerma, we look forward to what we will innovate and bring to you in 2015.
NOOME Anti-Aging device by evoDerma
The product: NOOME is a non-invasive anti-aging device that fights even the earliest signs of anti-aging by using gentle technique to stimulate collagen production in the deepest layers of skin.
Why it’s innovative: NOOME is a one-of-a-kind device that fights off signs of aging with an innovative massaging technique with two treatment cups that trumps plastic surgery, anti-aging creams and lasers.
MIA 3 by CLARISONIC
The Product: a professional quality skincare brush with carrying speeds.
Why it’s innovative: Beyond being a travel friendly option for skincare on the go, the Clarisonic Mia 2 offers three speeds in which users can obtain clean skin with this innovative exfoliating tool.
LUNA by FOREO
The Product: A facial brush made of silicone that uses specific pulsations for a deep cleansing.
Why it’s innovative: The LUNA brush can enhance the absorption of your skincare products due to it’s ability to unclog pores, remove dead skin cells and makeup residue using a specific T-Sonic pulsation technology.
ELITE IPL Hair Removal by evoDerma
The Product: ELITE removes unwanted hair permanently and painlessly with a simple point & shoot.
Why it’s innovative: Although IPL (intense pulsed light) technology is nothing new, ELITE utilizes a perfect combination of IPL and our own AMP technologies so as to deliver high performance results from home.
Essential oils can be great at helping to fight the aging process. Just be careful in how often you use them, and be sure to dilute them in a carrier oil (such as olive oil, sweet almond oil or castor oil) before using!
- Sandalwood Oil: Sandalwood oil softens dry skin and can help reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. It makes a great moisturizer, and can also help with the creation of new skin cells.
- Clary Sage Oil: This one is best for smoothing out fine lines and wrinkles, and works great as part of a skincare routine using skin moisturizers. It can also help tighten pores.
- Grape Seed Oil: Grape seed oil has antioxidant properties, which can help restore damaged skin. It is also rich in vitamin E, which can help slow the aging process.
- Geranium Oil: This is great for almost everyone, no matter what your skin type: dry, oily or sensitive. It helps increase blood circulation and keeps moisture in the skin. It works great when added to skin moisturizers and toners.
- Myrrah Oil: Myrrah has a high antioxidant level, which can help repair and prevent skin damage. It can also be used as a massage oil to smooth out wrinkles.
These oils a great for a preventative anti-aging skin care routine, as well as in helping restore your youthful appearance. For a great complement to using anti-aging products and oils, try NOOME Anti-Aging Motion! NOOME uses non-invasive subdermal technology (NIST) to actively stimulate skin cell renewal and restores skin resiliency and natural firmness. You can buy NOOME here: http://evoderma.com/noome-anti-aging-motion.html
Try out a natural remedy to make dry, cracked and brittle nails a thing of the past!
- Grape seed oil: rub grape seed oil onto dry and cracked nails to help restore their strength and appearance.
- Castor oil: Soak your fingers in castor oil for about 10 minutes to combat brittle nails.
- Shea butter: rubbing shea butter all over your cuticles and nail beds for about 20 minutes will help keep them strong.
- Aloe vera and lemon juice: this mixture is great for getting rid of stains on the nails themselves. Just apply directly to the nails.
- Coconut oil: one of our favorite natural beauty products at the moment, coconut oil is great for moisturizing not just dry nails, but dry hands, arms, legs, you name it! For more of our top uses of coconut oil, check out our previous posts! http://blog.evoderma.com/?s=coconut+oil
Did you know that stress can negatively effect the appearance of your skin? Our mental health is just as important to take care of as it may negatively impact our general health and appearance.
Feeling stressed? Here are common symptoms from you skin telling you you’re stressed out:
3. Acne / Oil production
4. Tired Eyes
5. Fine Lines
Now, how do you fix that?
Telling someone to stop being stressed out is the opposite of helpful and can actually have the opposite effect.
1. Watch a light-hearted movie:
2. Play a game: http://www.addictinggames.com/sports-games/miniputt.jsp
3. Surround yourself with people that make you happy
4. Try to maintain a regular sleep / eating pattern
5. Just say “no” when feeling overwhelmed with tasks
7. Treat yourself! We of course recommend our PRONECK massager that is specifically designed to relieve stress and muscle tension.
Nothing is worse than having freshly shaved, waxed or IPL treated legs and not adequately moisturizing them to get rid of leftover dry skin cells. However, we tend to find that many store bought moisturizers only temporarily restore the skin’s moisture and can end up leaving them dryer than when they first started. So, we’ve perfected a DIY after-shave moisturizer that will help ease and relieve your dry skin in the coming winter months! Try them out and let us know what you think!
Rosemary Mint Moisturizer
- ½ cup coconut oil
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup aloe vera gel
- 3 drops vitamin E
- 3 drops peppermint essential oil (or to your desire)
- 3 drops rosemary essential oil (or to your desire)
Mix it all up in a bowl and then put it into a sealable container! And Voila, a home made moisturizer!
If you want to know more about IPL hair removal, see our previous post here.
When it comes to beauty remedies, sometimes some of the best ingredients can be found not only in the bathroom, but also in your food pantry!
1. To help sooth and moisturize dry skin this winter, mix together ½ of an avocado and ¼ cup of honey. Apply this mask to your face, let it sit for 10 minutes, and then gently rinse off.
2. For shinier, healthier looking hair, first use your regular shampoo, then use 1 tbsp. of apple cider vinegar. Let this sit on your hair for five minutes. Just be sure to wash it all out afterwards!
3. Finally, soak 5 raw almonds in a cup of milk overnight, and then grind them into a paste. Mix together the milk and 2 tbsp. of honey and use this as a facemask to combat wrinkles.
For another natural way to fight the signs of aging, try NOOME Anti-Aging device. NOOME uses a mechanical approach to actively stimulate collagen production and reduces the appearance of wrinkles. While you may not be able to find the NOOME in your pantry, you can find it at www.evoderma.com. Besure to purchase it while it is still on holiday promotion!
The dawn of at-home IPL hair removal devices has revolutionized the ways in which we can get rid of unnecessary hair from the comforts of our own home. Famously aimed at women, the hair removal market has inadvertently excluded men from using methods such as IPL due to reasons of either men feeling too embarrassed about asking, lack of male-specific information on hair removal and a gendered approach to hair removal.
Yet what we may not realize is that many men turn to hair removal for a diversity of reasons: be it aesthetics, preference or even sport! The simple answer for many is to use more traditional methods such as shaving or waxing – but it is only because most do not realize that IPL hair removal IS an option for them and a suitable long-term solution for men whether they want permanent hair removal or to thin out the appearance of hair.
Therefore, this Skincare Saturday we want to take the opportunity to ask: why men may use IPL hair removal?
Because they can! Although there are a few obvious reasons why men may seek out hair removal, it is important to first emphasize that men do not need an excuse to get rid of unwanted body hair. Many sportsmen get rid of their unwanted body hair to improve their performance, to make treating injury easier and to facilitate sports massage.
Therefore it’s important to let men know out there that there are a variety of options – including permanent to semi-permanent hair removal devices out there available to them that can trump waxing and shaving.
IPL is a great option for men looking to eliminate excess body hair because they can customize the treatment to either be rid of hair permanently or thin the appearance of hair. They can also now purchase devices such as our ELITE IPL hair removal machine so that they can be rid of hair from the comfort of their own home without approaching a salon or esthetician – a process that many men are embarrassed about.
The ELITE has been designed to tackle even the thickest of hairs, which makes it suitable for men and women. The only difference between an IPL treatment for men and one for women with the ELITE is the necessity for men to follow through with more treatments as they typically have more and thicker hair.
The ELITE can eliminate all excess hair growth in men whether it is due to testosterone levels, genes or age. The reason why IPL works can be found in a previous article we wrote here: http://blog.evoderma.com/products/elite/skincare-saturday-10/. Men can use it on their arms, legs, armpits, stomach, back, chest, bikini area and just about anywhere they want minus the face and genitals!
Don’t be afraid to consider IPL hair removal as a viable option for men’s hair removal! This way you can obtain permanent or semi-permanent results based on your personal preference and take that one step closer to being the smooth you, you wish to be without the hesitation, embarrassment or excuses. Check our exclusive men’s ELITE page for more information: http://evoderma.com/elite-for-men.html
Season’s Givings: evoDerma’s holiday promotions make gift shopping easy
Having trouble coming up with the perfect holiday gift for friends and family? Don’t worry, evoDerma has the holiday wish list covered with these luxurious beauty and relaxation tools: NOOME Anti-Aging Motion, ELITE IPL hair removal, and the PRONECK Massager. Not only are these gifts practical, but with evoDerma‘s holiday sale, they are affordable too.
Add luxury to their wishlist with evoDerma’s holiday promotions
Not only are these gifts practical, but with evoDerma’s holiday sale, they are affordable too.
Montreal, Quebec (PRWEB) December 04, 2014
The NOOME™ Anti-Aging Motion is the perfect gift for both men and women over the age of 25, or, let’s face it, anyone who gets excited about skincare. It is an effective device that works to strengthen and restore the skin while combating the leading causes of facial aging: the decrease of collagen and elastin production, muscle strain and slow skin cell turnover. Incorporating NIST technology (non-invasive sub dermal therapy), NOOME™ attenuates fine lines and softens wrinkles caused by facial tension and leaves users with a fresh and youthful-looking complexion over time. It comes in a small compact box that makes this gift the perfect stocking stuffer!
Combined with the latest in IPL (Intense Pulsed Light) technology and evoDerma’s own innovative AMP (Advanced Multi-Pulse) technology, the ELITE is one of the highest quality hair removal products on the market. This state-of-the-art device works to deliver faster light pulses in one application that result in a more efficient and in depth treatment of unwanted body hair. Perfect for anyone, ELITE is designed for both men and women and is intended for home use. ELITE comes with a disposable lamp cartridge, each equipped with between 10,000 to 50,000 flashes (depending on the selected intensity level) that work to deliver progressively permanent hair reduction.
PRONECK is among the most high-tech and luxury devices in compact relaxation tools. It also makes for the most versatile holiday gift because everyone loves a good massage. The PRONECK Massager is a lightweight at-home wireless massage system that relieves stress and eases muscle tension. Incorporating massage techniques traditionally used in spas, PRONECK stimulates blood flow and improves sleep. A variety of massage settings such as heat massage, vibration, low frequency electric impulses and range of intensity are selected from a sleek and stylish pocket-sized remote control. Blue was carefully chosen as the color to appear on the massager and remote control due to its well known calming effects and it’s ability to soothe and encourage physical and mental relaxation.
Avoid crowded stores this holiday season by going online and visiting evoDerma’s store, in order to take advantage of these luxurious beauty and relaxation tools for a stress free holiday shopping experience. Beat the winter blues by taking advantage of evoDerma’s promotion and build a customized at home spa treatment with all three devices. Now that’s a feel good moment.
Terms and Conditions apply. Visit http://www.evoderma.com or call 1-855-EVO-DERM (1-855-386-3376) for more information.
*Offer valid only on NOOME™ Anti-Aging Motion, ELITE Hair Removal system and the PRONECK massager while supplies last. No substitutions once the order is processed. Not valid on previous purchases, disposable lamp cartridge purchases or in combination with any other evoDerma offers. Offer may be modified or discontinued at any time without notice.
Facial massage is great for stimulating skin cell renewal and collagen reproduction. So we’ve created a step-by-step guide on how to give yourself a facial massage that can help you relax and combat the signs of aging.
You can do this massage when you wake up or before going to bed. Just be careful to not be too rough with your skin as that can do more harm than good!
Step 1: Make sure your face is clean and free from all make up.
Step 2: Put your index finger above your eyebrow and middle finger below your eye socket. Slowly and gently stroke your fingers out away from your nose. Repeat 10 times
Step 3: Place your left hand on the right side of your forehead and gently stroke towards the other side, moving your hand towards the left side of your face. Then, switch and do the same but with your right hand, moving it from left to right. Repeat 10 times.
Step 4: Place your right hand over your mouth and gently stroke towards the left side of your face. Then, repeat but with your left hand, moving it towards the right side of you face. Repeat 10 times.
Step 5: Next, drop your jaw as if doing the biggest smile you can! Hold this for as long as possible.
Step 6: Push the tip of your nose upwards with your index finger and hold it there. Whilst doing this pull your upper lip down over your teeth and hold for 5 seconds.
Step 7: Using the middle fingers of both hands, make small circular movements from the top of the bridge of your nose all the way down towards your nostrils.
Step 8: Using your thumb and index finger, pinch your jaw and cheeks. Be sure to use small, quick pinches, nothing too painful.
Step 9: Place the knuckles of your index and middle fingers under your chin. Slowly move them along your jaw line towards your ears. Repeat 5 times.
For an even easier facial massage, our NOOME Anti-aging device is an all in one product that can deliver all the benefits of an intensive anti-aging facial massage.
For more information about NOOME, watch the video below!
Here at evoDerma, we’re constantly looking for new tips and tricks to help our community feel their best and to stay amazing.
We believe that there is no need to take drastic measures to look younger (i.e. plastic surgery) when you can use a more natural approach that will help enhance the features that make you YOU. So, here are three makeup tricks that you can use to help achieve a fresher, more youthful look.
Trick #1: Wear LESS Makeup!
- That’s right folks, the saying is true “Less is more”. Instead of caking on layers of liquid foundation, cover up AND mineral powder, opt for just 1 of the three. The less you wear, the more natural and fresh your complexion will be.
Trick #2: Warm up your skin color!
- Especially with winter just around the corner, it’s important to add a bit of color to your complexion. Try to avoid powders and use either a cream based blush or bronzer on your cheeks for a lively glow!
Trick #3: Add some glow!
- Nothing screams youthful like a glowing complexion. Add a bit of highlighter to your upper cheekbones and just under your eyebrows, and voila, a natural looking glow!
Try these three tricks in combination with evoDerma’s NOOME device (http://evoderma.com/noome-anti-aging-motion.html). The NOOME will improve the blood circulation in your face while subsequently rejuvenating your complexion. Check out our blogpost here and find out the best way to integrate the NOOME into your skincare regime!
Don’t forget to tell us how these tips work for you!
Alright, so you hit your twenties and you are just starting to get settled in to adulthood. You feel young – you are young. The last thing you’re probably thinking about is taking preventative anti-aging measures for your skin. For now you’re too concerned about finding your place in the world as an adult and enjoying the freedom being a young adult comes with. BUT wait! Don’t be naïve in thinking you only need to address problems when you see them – take early precautions now that will make your future self jump for joy.
Here are a few simple tips that you can incorporate into your daily routine to look and feel amazing well beyond your twenties!
- The most important thing you can do starting now is to wear a moisturizer with a high SPF. Be sure to invest in a high quality sunscreen and slather it on everyday – don’t be stingy! Wear it rain or shine, sun or not, because it will consistently block harmful UV rays from penetrating your skin. Not wearing sunscreen regularly can cause women to see the early signs of aging even before their twenties end.
- Avoid squeezing blackheads and pimples! We know the temptation. We’ve all been there. It’s hard to walk around with the feeling of something protruding from your face. Yet by not picking at your face, you’re decreasing the likelihood of broken capillaries that can come back to haunt you later when you age.
- Incorporate Retinol-A into your routine. Vitamin A is a good source of Retinol, yet you can get it over the counter with a prescription from a dermatologist. Applying Retinol-A every other night before bed will help fight the appearance of wrinkles and even acne – two problems that women in their twenties deal with!
- Go to see a dermatologist once a year. It may seem excessive as many of us don’t even think to see a dermatologist unless we feel something is wrong… However, if you think of it this way: you go to see a doctor at least once a year to check up on the health of your body, right? Why not see a dermatologist once a year to check up on the health of your skin and even be given customized tips and tricks for its upkeep.
- Eat Omega 3s! Having healthy skin is as much about what you put inside of it as what you put on top of it. The fatty acids found in Omega 3s help the skin with oil production and can help prevent dry and flaky skin. It also acts as an antioxidant that helps protect your skin from UV rays.
- Buying skincare products? Always go for the gentlest option in every skincare category. Overly harsh products often have the opposite effect of what you want it to do and can damage your skin over time.
- Last but not least, start to use the NOOME Anti-Aging motion device regularly from your 20s onwards. The NOOME is great device that can stimulate the production of collagen more better than any other serum or cream as it targets the deepest layer of your skin. (To see why, see this article). Start now with the NOOME and achieve a glowing complexion that will last you way into your golden years.
So you’ve bought the ELITE, and now you have lovely smooth legs, but you’re still plagued by cellulite. What can you do? Well, help is at hand because we have a list of the best foods that can help fight the appearance of cellulite!
Getting rid of cellulite isn’t necessarily all about creams or what you put on to your body, but also about what you put into it which counts!
- Fresh fruits and vegetables: The best place to start is with fresh fruit and vegetables. The high levels of water they contain can help flush out toxins in your body which can help eradicate cellulite. A diet that includes plenty of fruits and vegetables will also give you lots of vitamins, minerals and antioxidants. What’s even better is that their low calorie content can help with weight loss, which will help reduce cellulite.
Some of the best fruits and veg for eliminating cellulite are: avocado (which is also a source of healthy fat, more on this later), berries, celery, mushrooms, spinach, tomatoes and grapefruit. The more colorful, the better!
- Lean protein: Once you’ve got your fruit and veg, you need your protein! You should eat plenty of lean proteins, preferably ones that are either high in omega fatty acids or very low in fat. Protein rich foods can help boost your metabolism, and omega fats can build muscle whilst burning fats.
The best protein rich foods to focus on are: chicken breast, white turkey meat, lean steak, egg white, cod, salmon and oily fish (such as mackerel).
- Dairy: As well as animal protein, dairy products are also very important in the fight against cellulite. Whilst they are important, try and keep them to 1-2 servings per day. An added bonus is that they also contain calcium.
The best sources of healthy dairy products are: cottage cheese, Greek yogurt, and hard cheeses. Be careful of how much you eat though, as some dairy products contain a lot of saturated fats, which is definitely not what you want!
- Healthy fats: Healthy fats (importance on the word healthy) can be great in providing a long-term source of energy. They also have great benefits for your skin!
The best sources of healthy fats are: salmon, mackerel, sardines, coconut oil (is there anything coconut oil can’t do?!), seeds, nuts and natural nut butters, and avocado, again. Be careful though, as they can be high in calories, so be sure to monitor your portion sizes!
- Complex carbs: You need to be really careful about these because they can lead to weight gain. But it isn’t all bad, they can help with muscle building which is vital in firming up areas where cellulite is present. You’ll get the best benefits from them if you eat them either first thing in the morning or around your workout.
You can get complex carbs from: sweet potatoes, couscous, quinoa, brown and wild rice, and steel cut oatmeal.
Now that you’ve got your ELITE and your cellulite fighting foods, you and your smooth legs are ready to take on the world!
There’s no better way to beat the winter blues then to settle down at home with your own personalized spa! So invite your best girlfriends over and bring on the bubbly, because we have the perfect treat for you.
- No spa is complete without being completely in your comfort zone. So light some candles, put on your PJs and pick a cozy and relaxing nook in your house to set up.
- Flicks. That’s right! Pick your favorite guilty pleasure and pop it into the DVD player. Or, who are we kidding, click play on Netflix. Some of our personal favorites are: Mean Girls, Clueless and Love Actually or any film that makes you feel like you’re 15 again.
- Now for the spa treatments. Start by making this relaxing lavender foot soak (Recipe below). Then, make our banana honey face mask (recipe below).
- Now, for the relaxation. Pop on one of evoDerma’s top selling products, the PRONECK massager. This will be sure to get rid of any built up tension, and it will truly add to this spa experience.
- Apply all the treatments, sit back, relax, and treat yourself to your favorite snack. Voila, the ultimate DIY at-home spa!
Lavender Foot Soak:
- 1 large bowl to mix in all the ingredients (don’t forget your feet have to fit in there too)
- 1 cup of Epsom Salts
- 5 drops of essential Lavender Oil
- ½ cup of coarse sea salt
Fill up the bowl half way with warm to hot water. Add all your ingredients. Stir. Place feet in bowl.
Banana Honey Face Mask
- 1 mashed banana
- 2 teaspoons of honey
- 1/4 cup of plain yoghurt
Mix all the ingredients in a bowl. Apply to face. Leave on for 10-20 minutes. Rinse off.
This Skincare Saturday is dedicated to all those men out there who may feel forgotten about in the skincare equation, as well as those who feel bewildered about how to go about establishing a daily skincare routine.
Whether you’re male or female, it’s important to invest in a good cleanser in order to remove all the gunk that builds up under your skin overtime. Cleansers are relatively inexpensive and easy to find.
TIP 4 MEN:
A regular deep cleansing can help avoid itching and stubble! Bonus points if you find a cleanser that contains glycolic acid as it is proven to help alleviate razor bumps & burns.
Exfoliation is a process in which you gently massage exfoliant against your skin so as to help promote skin cell renewal and the removal of dead cells. Exfoliants can easily be identified by their “rough” texture and are easily found in any pharmacy.
TIP 4 MEN:
Avoid exfoliating in the areas in which you shave your facial hair.
Shaving itself is a type of physical exfoliation and if you exfoliate where
you’re shaving, this can actually be very damaging to your skin!
Moisturizing is key to keeping skin healthy! Moisturizing is important to do every day and night and should be done right after cleansing and then exfoliating. There is a vast array of moisturizers out there however some are suited better for different skin types – check out our moisturizer article here to help guide you in finding the perfect one for you.
TIP 4 MEN:
Moisturize with sunscreen! There are many moisturizers out there with built in UV protection. Sunscreen should be worn everyday regardless of the weather.
There are many steps men can take to keep their skin at its best throughout the day, and even take preventative measures now that will benefit them in the long term.
TIPS 4 MEN:
- Invest in facial wipes. Whisk away sweat, oil and dirt throughout the day in one easy swoop with a facial wipe. It’s also a great way to feel refreshed.
- Cleanse & Exfoliate before shaving! Cleansing & Exfoliating before shaving will not only give you a clean surface to work on, but also soften the hair before shaving.
- Invest in a BB Cream to even out complexion. There’s an “un-makeup” solution for guys. Do not be hesitant about investing in a good BB Cream to even out any blotches and imperfections. Although it may look like makeup, BB Creams are great for skin because they are packed with many vitamins, anti-aging properties and have a light tint to them, which helps to correct the skin tone.
- And last but not least, taking preventative anti-aging measures is important no matter your age. Your more mature self will be thanking you in later years for considering it now. For this process, we of course recommend our best seller, the NOOME Anti-Aging Motion Device. The NOOME is great for stimulating collagen production in the deeper layers of your skin and works even better than any anti-aging cream out there. It’s also extremely easy to use, non-invasive and only takes about a minute to do every couple of days in a week. Give it a try!
Alright, we all know the feeling of silky smooth legs after a fresh shave, but what if you could get even softer legs? It’s definitely possible with our ultimate after-shave skin care regime and our amazing DIY Coconut Coffee Scrub!
First, start off with your regular shaving routine. We suggest taking a hot shower before proceeding with any sort of shaving to help soften the hairs. Then, instead of using shaving cream, use coconut oil (have we mentioned how much we love coconut oil?). This will get the ball rolling to achieve those silky smooth stems.
Second, use the ELITE at-home IPL hair removal system in order to achieve gradually permanent hair removal. This will ensure that your hair regrowth will progressively disappear, hich means you can say goodbye to those prickly hairs!
Third, use the Coconut Coffee Scrub (see recipe below) to exfoliate your legs and get rid of any dead skin cells. No more flaky dry skin with this bad boy, just lather, scrub and rinse away that dead skin! Not only that, but the coffee grounds also help to get rid of cellulite!
Voila! Be prepared to constantly be touching your legs because you won’t believe how smooth and soft they are!
DIY Coconut Coffee Scrub Recipe
- 1 cup coconut oil
- ½ cup coffee grounds
- 1 drop of vitamin E
- 1 tablespoon of honey
Mix all items together in a jar
With the holiday season fast approaching, its becoming that time of year where discounts ease the holiday budget. This year, evoDerma has gone one step further in helping wallets by creating the Friday to Friday promotion, a weeklong sales event created exclusively for the fast approaching holiday season to help with getting loved ones luxurious beauty tools without the regular price tag.
With the cold months fast approaching, everyone is in need of a treat and theres no better time to try out evoDerma’s beauty and relaxation tools. So, from Friday November 21st until Friday November 28th, get a head start on Black Friday this year with discounts on evoDerma’s best sellers: the NOOME Anti-Aging Motion, ELITE professional at-home IPL hair removal system, and the PRONECK massager. These devices are sure to put a smile on anyones face as all three products on promotion differ so as to meet the holiday wish list for all friends and family.
The NOOME Anti-Aging Motion is a sophisticated device that works to strengthen and repair the skin while combating the leading causes of facial aging: the decrease of collagen and elastin production, muscle strain and slow skin cell turnover. Incorporating NIST technology (non-invasive sub dermal therapy), NOOME attenuates fine lines and softens wrinkles caused by facial tension and leaves users with a fresh and youthful-looking complexion over time. (http://evoderma.com/noome-anti-aging-motion.html)
Combined with the latest in IPL (Intense Pulsed Light) technology and evoDerma’s own innovative AMP (Advanced Multi-Pulse) technology, the ELITE is one of the highest quality hair removal products on the market. With a perfect combination of IPL and evoDerma’s own AMP technology, this state-of-the-art device works to deliver faster light pulses in one application that result in a more efficient and in depth treatment of unwanted body hair. Perfect for anyone, ELITE is designed for both men and women and is intended for home use. ELITE comes with a disposable lamp cartridge, each equipped with between 10,000 to 50,000 flashes (depending on the selected intensity level) that work to deliver progressively permanent hair reduction. (http://evoderma.com/elite.html)
PRONECK is among the most high-tech devices in compact luxury relaxation tools. The PRONECK Massager is an at-home wireless massage system that relieves stress and eases muscle tension. Incorporating massage techniques traditionally used in spas, PRONECK stimulates blood flow and improves sleep. A variety of massage settings such as heat massage, vibration, low frequency electric impulses and range of intensity are selected from a sleek and stylish pocket-sized remote control. Blue was carefully chosen as the color to appear on the massager and remote control due to its well known calming effects. Blue is soothing and encourages physical and mental relaxation. (http://evoderma.com/pro-neck-massager.html)
Avoid crowded stores this coming week and go online to take advantage of these luxurious beauty and relaxation tools for a more youthful and smoother complexion, without having to leave home. Even if the promotion is not used for getting others gifts, why not take advantage of evoDermas promotion to beat the winter blues and build a customized at home spa treatment with all three devices?
Terms and Conditions apply. Visit http://www.evoderma.com or call 1-855-EVO-DERM (1-855-386-3376) for more information.*Offer valid only on NOOME Anti-Aging Motion, ELITE Hair Removal system and the PRONECK massager while supplies last. No substitutions once the order is processed. Not valid on previous purchases, disposable lamp cartridge purchases or in combination with any other evoDerma offers. Offer may be modified or discontinued at any time without notice.
What stresses you out? And how can you cope with it?Stress can have serious effects on your body and your well-being
A recent study found that our top three stressors are money, work and the economy, with 40% of workers saying that their job is very or extremely stressful.
So how can you beat the stress monster?
Take a walk: Being around nature can help reduce mental fatigue, improve positive feelings and reduce anger and frustration.
Call a friend: Social support is key to staying stress free. So if you’re feeling stressed, try venting to a friend.
Massage: Massage has proven stress-relieving qualities as it relaxes you and can relieve built up tension. For some at home, self massage ideas, check out this post, and this one! And for the perfect feel good moment, try evoDerma’s PRONECK massager. PRONECK uses professional massage techniques and comes with six computerized programs for a personalized treatment. PRONECK is perfect for helping you relax and can help ease built up tension in the neck. For more information on PRONECK, visit our website here.
Laugh: Watch a comedy, read a funny book, listen to something entertaining on the radio or just meet up with some friends for a good laugh. There is so much to laugh about and laughing and having fun can help you let go of your stressors.
Breathe deeply or try meditation: By focusing on positive energy and concentrating on your breathing you can feel less stressed and more relaxed.
So relax, let go of all that stress, and #StayAmazing!
Intense Pulsed Light (IPL) technology is a safe and effective hair removal method that provides permanent results. IPL is often found in professional salons around the globe; however, it is widely known to be a costly process – until now.
Thanks to recent innovations, IPL can now be used at home with new home use devices, such as evoDerma’s ELITE. This device permits the user to achieve the salon quality results they want without the hefty price tag.
Despite IPL being proven as a safe and effective method for at-home hair removal, we can see why it may be intimidating for most. No fear, though! We’re here to explain how it works and why it would be a good investment for anyone wanting permanent hair removal.
Here at evoDerma, we always strive to craft the most advanced and effective devices. This means that our hair removal devices, such as ELITE, are always equipped with the latest advancements in IPL technology. With a simple point and shoot motion on a specific target area, the ELITE puts IPL to work by shooting a bright flash of light that is attracted and absorbed by the natural dark pigment. This pigment is called melanin and it absorbs the light pulses emitted by the device and turns that energy into heat. The melanin then acts as a conductor that directs the energy towards the root of the hair and prevents it from growing back. This process gradually disables the hair follicle and leaves you with permanent results and smoother skin over time!
This method for hair removal is not only effective but also completely safe. Given that your skin tone falls within the boundaries of compatibility and all safety precautions are taken, there should be no concerns with using IPL as a permanent hair removal solution. It is even the most painless method for hair removal – other popular devices that use laser technology are known for being painful and difficult to use. The ELITE on the other hand, uses IPL in such a way that makes the process practically painless!
Hopefully this information is enough to convince you that IPL is a harmless and competent permanent hair removal solution. However, if any questions were to arise regarding IPL technology, never hesitate to contact evoDerma for questions about safety and procedure. We always have a knowledgeable and expertly trained staff at hand prepared to answer any questions you may have!
+1-514-446-1515 / email@example.com
EvoDerma is excited to invite you to join and be part of the growing #StayAmazing community on Facebook.
We want to keep our followers informed about our high quality beauty and relaxation devices, and of course, to give them the best tips and tricks to help them #StayAmazing.
Based on evoDerma’s concept that real beauty is being amazing, the Facebook page looks to not only share products but to also provide fans with the best beauty tips daily. All of this is in addition to providing expert information about evoDerma’s areas of knowledge: IPL hair removal, anti-aging and well being. On top of being a beauty authority, the page alerts fans to evoDerma’s own great deals on sites, such as Groupon and LivingSocial, as well as exclusive social media offers.
EvoDerma’s marketing and design teams work hard to produce top quality content that is memorable, informative and interesting. Trendy images, videos and articles are combined with self-made original content. These keep evoDerma’s followers informed about the company’s high quality beauty and relaxation devices, and of course, to give them the best tips and tricks to help them #StayAmazing.
Social media posts are based around unique daily themes: Mindful Monday, Tutorial Tuesday, Workout Wednesday, Try It Out Thursday, Forever Young Friday, Skincare Saturday and Style Sunday. The aim is for fans to engage as much as possible with the published content and become part of the evoDerma community. A recent example of positive fan interaction is when Instagram users were asked to submit their most glamorous Halloween selfies so as to become the Style Sunday star.
EvoDerma also regularly posts #FeelGoodMoments; remarkable videos and websites that create a ‘wow effect’. These can be anything from amazing feats of human achievement to incredible choreography, to inspirational art works. The aim is for the audience to come away from the page feeling inspired and most of all, amazing.
With a current Facebook following of over 7,600, evoDerma aims to continue to grow and reach more and more people.
Based in Montreal, Canada, evoDerma Inc. is a beauty provider that specializes in leading-edge IPL hair removal, skincare, anti-aging, and well-being technology. We have successfully created the latest in high quality aesthetic devices with style and comfort in mind. Designed for at home use, our professional-grade products are known throughout the industry for their reliable reputation as well as their iconic design.
So click on the links below and join us!
Step 1: Use an exfoliating cleanser. Not only will it help to remove dirt from your pores, but it will also polish away any dead skin cells that hang out on the surface of your skin. One of our favourite cleansers is : Olay’s skin smoothing cream scrub (great for combination skin)!
Step 2: Here’s where our handy dandy NOOME comes in. Not only will the NOOME work to boost collagen and elastin levels in your skin, it will also give your complexion that extra something by improving your blood circulation. NOOME will help your skin glow throughout the day.
Step 3: Coconut oil. Coconut oil. Coconut oil. We swear by this stuff, it seriously works wonders! It’s an all natural moisturizer that will help clear up your skin due to it’s anti-bacterial components. It will also help to remove any excess makeup AND help to fight signs of aging. Did we mention that we love it? To see just how much we love it, check out this post!
Try this routine out at home and let us know how it works!
As winter is fast approaching, it is almost the season for the environmental damage to wreak havoc on your skin’s natural moisturizing ability.
So, it’s now or never to educate yourself on your specific needs and stock up on a go to lotion that will keep you hydrated all winter!
The first step in choosing a moisturizer is assessing your skin type – different skin types have specific needs that need to be addressed so as to best combat this upcoming cold season.
Dry Skin: dry skin is usually indicative of a lack of sebum production and need for oil for hydration. Therefore, choosing oil-based products best fights off dry skin.
Tips & Tricks for choosing a moisturizer:
|+ Find products with emollients: emollients sink into the skin and help skin retain its hydration and suppleness.|
|+ Find products with Occlusives: occlusives are famous for their ability to seal in water – so are most beneficial when applied to dampened skin.|
|+ Emollients and Occlusives should be at the top of your look-for ingredients list!|
|+ Humectants: help increase the water content of the skin by enhancing water absorption from the dermis to the epidermis (Difference between epidermis and dermis article link here). Some examples of humectants are ingredients like aloe vera, glycerin and hyaluronic acid.|
|+ Your skin needs as much oil as possible, so avoid products that may strip any of it away!|
Oily Skin: people with oily skin suffer from an overproduction of sebum – although many other factors can bring on excess sebum such as hormonal changes. Not to fear though, people with oily skin should never be excluded from a daily moisturizing routine – especially in winter.Tips & Tricks for choosing a moisturizer:
|+Avoid products that use heavy occlusive: as mentioned earlier, occlusives are known for the ability to seal in moisture – which means that they will retain too much of the oil already found on the skin.+ Stick to a “light” weight moisturizer that has the consistency of either a gel or a liquid – not a cream.|
|+ The winter months are capable of drying out skin, even sometimes no matter how oily your skin is. So, a heavier cream may be necessary to treat dry patches, however…|
|+Test patch!! People with oily skin have a tendency to break out easily. It is always important to test patch (even regardless of skin type) a product on your skin to prevent breakouts.|
Combination Skin: people with combination skin are typically defined by those with an oily T-Zone and then dry, flaky patches around all other areas. Thus, it becomes confusing to treat combination skin due to people having two very different problems at once!Tips & Tricks for choosing a moisturizer:
|+ Tailor your skincare to target specific areas. Although it sounds tedious, it is important different areas specifically.|
|+ Tailor your routine to use a moisturizer suitable for oily skin on the area where the skin is oily, and use a moisturizer typically meant for dry skin on areas where it is dry.|
|+ Apply a light moisturizing gel or liquid to your whole face and wait to dry.|
|+ After applying a light moisturizer to your whole face, apply a heavier and more moisturizing cream (refer to tips & tricks for dry skin) to dry areas.|
Normal Skin: don’t consider yourself to suffer from these problems? Congrats! You have the skin most of us dream of. However, neglecting moisturizing due to feeling like you don’t need to is bad – especially in the upcoming winter months that can dry out your skin.Tips & tricks for choosing a moisturizer:
|+ Avoid heavy creams. Unless winter has given you a dry patch, heavy creams can actually clog your pores and cause breakouts|
|+ Although your skin moisturizer may not require specific ingredients such as those to combat oily and dry skin, it is still important to look for the right ingredients for you.|
|+ Products with emollients and humectants are a good option for your ideal moisturizer.|
picture credit 1 2
When stressed the body releases cortisol, a stress hormone. Over a long period, cortisol can cause health problems, such as weight gain.
Improved immune system:
Research has shown meditation increases anti-bodies, which helps the immune system act faster
When your mind is at ease, you’ll be better able to control your emotions.
Calms the mind:
Like with your emotions, if you are less stressed and more relaxed your mind should be free of worry.
Regulates heart rate:
During meditation the body requires less oxygen which means the heart can beat slower and more regularly which also reduces blood pressure.
When you feel less stressed you’ll be able to concentrate your energy and thoughts onto something else
Cortisol causes collagen loss in the skin which can cause wrinkles. NOOME can also help boost collagen.
Cortisol causes fat gaun around major organs, which can lead to health problems.
Better bone density:
Over time, too much stress and cortisol production can weaken bone formation.
And for an even more relaxing experience, try PRONECK: the perfect feel good moment!
How to create faux bangs!
Have you always wanted bangs but been too scared to make the first chop? Afraid of all the work that comes along with having a fringe? Luckily we have a non-committal hair trick that will keep you up to date on this bang-on trend: how to create faux bangs!
1. First, start by brushing the front part of your hair in front of your face
2. Then, make a side part, still leaving the hair in front of your face.
3. Flip the bottom part of the hair underneath and twist it to the side of your head
4. Take a bobby pin and secure the twisted hair in place
5 .Repeat on the other side
Voilà ! Faux-bangs
Step 3 and 4:
Remember to try this out at home and send us a picture! Or hashtag evoDerma on Instagram!
If you haven’t heard of the myriad of uses for coconut oil – no fear; after scouring the web for countless hours, we are here to compile a list of the best tried and true tips and tricks that are all things coconut oil. All the while explaining exactly why coconut oil can be beneficial to your skincare and beauty regimen!
Coconut oil has an awesome antibacterial action
Coconut oil is composed of 92% saturated fats and more specifically – a saturated fat called Lauric Acid which is know for having anti-bacterial properties.
Some uses for coconut oil that demonstrate its anti-bacterial action:
Toothpaste: just mix 6 tbsp coconut oil with 6 tbsp baking soda!
Oil Pulling: Swish coconut oil in your mouth for 15 – 20 minutes as an alternative to mouth wash and to remove large amounts of harmful bacteria.
Dandruff: Massage a couple tablespoons of coconut oil onto your scalp and leave it to sit overnight once a week.
Makeup remover: Gently warm a small amount of coconut oil between your fingers and apply it to the area of makeup you want removed; wipe away with a warm wash cloth.
Foot odour: Around 2-3 times a day, massage coconut oil onto your feet and wear socks.
Coconut oil has amazing moisturizing abilities
Coconut oil is undoubtedly a great moisturizer that not only feels great, but also smells lovely. It’s an effective moisturizer for the body, face and hair. Watch out though! Coconut oil is actually comedogenic – meaning it can also cause blackheads and clogged pores. It is always a good idea to patch test small areas of skin before ever committing to any product for your skin care routine.
Cleanser: Gently massage coconut oil around your face and then wipe away with a damp warm washcloth.
Anti-Aging: Coconut oil is actually packed with antioxidants that are great for anti-aging properties… or just as a face cream in general!
Double the effectiveness of your moisturizer: Apply coconut oil right after moisturizing to seal in your moisturizer for optimal results.
Body Cream: Preferably before bed (as coconut oil can feel pretty sticky!), apply coconut oil liberally to your body. For an added bonus add essential oils, vanilla extract or other scents to make a scented body cream!
Conditioning Treatment: Condition your hair by massaging coconut oil on the ends of your hair, let it sit overnight (be sure to wear a hair cap!) and simply wash it out in the morning – but you may have to shampoo twice to get it all out!
Warning! Many websites and blogs also state that you can make a coconut oil scrub using granules such as sugar or salt – however, this is actually very dangerous for your skin! Using jagged, rough pieces like sugar or salt is actually very damaging for your skin.
DIY coconut oil beauty
There are tons of crazy concoctions online for DIY beauty products that are made from coconut oil. Although coconut oil is definitely a great ingredient for a natural and moisturizing cosmetic product, here are some tried and true beauty uses – even a lipstick we made ourselves over here at evoDerma!
Bronzer: Combine coconut oil and cacao powder for a hint of bronze when you moisturize.
Shimmer Bronzer: Combine coconut oil, cacao powder and a gold / white shimmer loose powder or instead of cacao powder, mix with some old shimmer brown eye shadow!
Lip Balm: You can either apply coconut oil plainly to your lips or create your own customized lip balm! Just simply mix some warmed coconut oil, essential oils for scent and color. For colors, there are plenty of options out there – food dyes, non-toxic crayons, Kool-Aid, beets… The list goes on! Get creative and have fun with it!
Cream Blush: Combine melted coconut oil and an old pink lipstick for a natural looking, and moisturizing cream blush!
Lip Scrub: combine sugar granules, coconut oil and scrub away
Lash conditioner: Get luscious lashes with coconut oil but gently massaging it into your (clean) lashes each night before bed!
If you want your look to be more glamorous romantic and less gothic halloween, follow these simple steps on how to rock dark lipstick this season.
- First things first, it is important to start with a good base. So make sure your lips are in tip top condition by starting with a lip scrub. This will stop your lips from looking flakey under your lipstick.
- The next best way to prepare your lips for a dark lipstick is to keep them moisturized. Choose a matte lip balm, so that you can use it under the lipstick and the shine won’t break through.
- Next, make sure you don’t have any stray hairs hanging around your top lip. It’s not a good look if any of your lipstick clings to them.
- You want your skin to look as fresh and glowing as possible. If your skin is unclear, the lipstick has to contend with blotches and redness. Check out our top tips to get glowing skin here!
- To find your best, most flattering shade, go for a purple base (think merlot) if your skin is fair to medium. If your skin is more olive, go for a colour with terracotta/mahogany shades. If you have darker skin, a merlot colour mixed with a tiny amount of dark brown or black will compliment your skin.
- To line or not to line? If your lipstick has a very high shine, and if it is not too glossy or creamy, then it will stay put without having to use liner. If you feel more comfortable with a lined lip, a wine or blood-red-rose shade will work best.
For more beauty tips daily, join us on Facebook!
Anyone out there know the difference between a serum and a face cream?
No worries if you don’t – most people are unsure how to differentiate between these products! However, here at evoDerma we believe that taking care of your skin is one of the most important parts of your daily routine – therefore it’s important to be knowledgeable of products available to you so as to make an informed decision on how to go about taking care of your beautiful skin!
First off, to completely understand the difference between a moisturizer and a serum, it is important to educate ourselves on the biology of the skin and the layers that these products target – since they can all target specific skin needs differently.
The most basic layers of our skin comes in three parts:
1. The Epidermis
which is the outer most layer of our skin that acts as a barrier to prevent infection.
2. The Dermis
sits right under the epidermis and is the area that contains hair follicles, nerve endings, sweat glands, sebaceous glands, apocrine glands, lymphatic vessels and blood vessels.
3. The hypodermis
is the third and last layer that acts as connective tissue between your skin and muscle tissue. It is from the hypodermis in which we get our blood supply for the other two layers.
Now, the part that some people get confused about is how a moisturizer and a serum targets these skin layers differently.
The truth is – many skincare companies have become good at making you buy the same thing twice with the belief that you’re getting two differently functioning products.
The primary difference between skin cream and a serum is that a serum contains a higher concentration of active ingredients that can penetrate a deeper layer of skin than a face cream.
Often, a skincare line may release a skin cream with it’s “matching serum”, stating that they are required in conjunction with one another to achieve desired results – but the truth is, they may just be the same thing, however, the serum is more highly concentrated.
Although we would never like to demonize the use of creams and serums as a daily part of keeping your skin healthy, it is important to know exactly what is going on your skin and how it is going to get the results you wish to achieve. Creams and serums are capable of targeting the two outer most layers of your skin but are there any products out there that can achieve more effective results? What if there was one product that could target an even deeper layer of skin than a serum and capable of producing effective and visible results without the necessity of buying a variety of creams and serums?
For this reason, evoDerma has created the NOOME Anti-Aging device.
NOOME is a skin rejuvenation tool that is capable of targeting the deepest layer of your skin with a gentle and relaxing suctioning function. NOOME targets the deepest skin layers by lightly sucking on the surface of your skin to help stimulate blood flow in your hypodermis and helps increase the production of proteins such as collagen.
Of course it is important to still keep in mind that the road to healthy skin is by giving it the nutrients it needs – this comes from a balanced diet, minimal UV exposure and added anti-oxidants such as Vitamin E, Polyphenols, ascorbic acid, beta-carotene and other ingredients with proven skin benefits.
Basically, visible results are a process more than an application – it is knowing where to target specifically and the effect of what you are applying. Therefore, with NOOME you can be comfortable in knowing which target areas you are hitting and that your efforts are being put to achieving results more efficiently! Combined with an informed skincare regimen, you can achieve those flawless results you deserve!
Remember – skincare is really a reflection of science and biology – understanding your skin and the effects of what you need to apply to it is the first step in skincare!
You can try NOOME for yourself here!
Try these two relaxing, at-home head massages, for a perfect moment of relaxation.
1. Hold the sides of your head in your palms. Push in and move your fingers across your skull. Press and repeat.
2. Hold the back of your neck with your thumbs and index fingers. Slide up and down, applying even pressure.
We hope you enjoy this, and for an even better experience, try the PRONECK Massager: the perfect feel good moment.
Shaving is one the of the oldest and most common methods of hair removal, however it only lasts a few days and can cause ingrown hairs and razor burns. This leaves unsightly bumps on the skin. As the hair starts to regrow it can also be itchy, especially in more sensitive areas. Oh and then there’s the risk of cutting yourself!
Waxing is an ancient technique where the hair is pulled from the root, but this can be very painful, especially on sensitive areas of the body. Just with saving, there is also the chance of ingrown hairs. You also have to allow for about 1/4 of an inch regrowth between treatments. It can be messy if you try to do it yourself at home, and if you opt for an in-salon treatment it can be very expensive, ranging from $1000 – $1500 a year for treatment on your legs, underarms and bikini line!
Mechanical epilators pluck the hair automatically as they are passed over the body, which can be especially painful. Epilators pluck between five and 40 hairs at once. They can also accidentally pinch the skin instead of the hairs, which is very painful and can cause irritation. As with shaving and waxing, there is also the risk of ingrown hairs.
At home IPL is much more cost effective than in-salon IPL and, as the name suggests, can be done within the comfort of your own home. Unlike shaving, waxing and epilating, IPL hair removal systems like LUMI+ and ELITE offer permanent hair reduction, with visible results typically seen within 2 – 4 treatments. For in-salon treatments, prices can range from $535 for five treatments* on the underarms to $1800 for five treatments* on the upper legs. Or in other words, to treat the whole body (five treatments on the underarms, arms, bikini line, upper and lower legs) it can cost upwards of $6400!* You can buy an ELITE hair removal system for $599 or a LUMI+ for $599.
You can check here to see if IPL is right for your skin type!
*For a set of five to seven in-office laser treatments. Based on survey of North American skin care clinics in 2011.
A great way to relax is through massage, and it has so many other benefits as well such as improving circulation. Try out these two simple at home massages, and for an even more relaxing experience try the PRONECK Massager.
1. Hold your foot with your thumbs pressing into the sole. Rub vigorously across the sole.
2. Hold both your feet whilst squatting. Push your thumbs into your soles and press your fingers up into the tops of your feet.
EvoDerma is proud to introduce the PRONECK Massager: the most high-tech in luxury relaxation tools. Drawing inspiration from massage techniques traditionally used in professional settings, the PRONECK incorporates these methods into its compact design – making it both convenient and easy to use while at home, at work or while travelling. Click the image below to find out more!
Wave goodbye to spots with these three natural spot treatments:
Apply lemon juice directly to the spot with a Q-tip to dry it out.
Place slices of raw potato directly on the problem areas and leave for 10-30 minutes then rinse off.
Apply a few slices of cleaned cucumber directly to problem spots, leave for 20 minutes then wash off.
Rachel McAdams is lucky enough to have lovely naturally red lips that she doesn’t need to overdo the makeup. To copy her natural look, go for a tinted lip balm. Not only do you get a hint of color, but you’ll also get moisturizer and UV protection! If you’re not sure which shade to go for, you can see what your natural lip color is by looking at your gum line or get the blood flowing by rubbing your lips.
To get fresh and healthy looking skin with that amazing glow like Michelle Williams, the key is water. If you are dehydrated, it will show in your skin. So drink plenty of water throughout the day. It is also key to have a good skincare routine and to really look after your skin. Taking your makeup before you go to bed and wearing sunscreen no matter what the weather are vital. Stay clear from oil-free foundations, such as matte ones, because these will not give you a glow. For a natural, lighter look, opt for a tinted moisturizer or mix a little bit of moisturizer with your foundation
Halle Berry is a champion of natural looking makeup and is rarely seen with lots and lots of makeup on. If you want the no-makeup look, opt for one vital product: mascara. Even a light, natural coat can make a huge difference as it frames your eyes, and your face. Try a black-brown shade instead of ultra black, as it looks softer and more natural. Another top tip is to use a small rubber wand, take some product of the mascara wand when you take it off the tube, and comb it through your lashes.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 45 minutes
We’re sure you will love these fudgy, peanut butter brownies, and what’s even better is that they are vegan and gluten free!
¾ cup of cocoa powder (preferably high quality)
1 15 ounce can (approximately ¾ cups) of black beans, well rinsed and drained
2 flax eggs (2 tbsp. flaxseed meal + 5 T water)
¼ cup maple syrup or agave
¼ tsp. sea salt
¼ cup + tsp. raw sugar, ground to a fine texture (or sub granulated)
3 tbsp. coconut oil, melted
1 tsp. baking soda
1 ½ tsp. baking powder
½ cup salted natural peanut butter (smooth or creamy)
2 tbsp. powdered sugar
1/3 cup dairy-free semisweet chocolate chips + more for topping
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
1. Preheat the oven to 350F and lightly grease an 8 x 8 baking pan
2. Make up the flax eggs by combining flax and water in the bowl of the food processor and pulse a couple of times. Then leave to rest for a few minutes.
3. Add the black beans, cocoa powder, oil, sea salt, vanilla extract, maple syrup or agave, raw sugar, baking powder and baking soda. Puree this mixture – about 3 minutes – scraping down the sides as needed. It needs to be pretty smooth.
4. If the batter looks too thick, add a tbsp. or two of water and pulse again. You do not want it to be runny though.
5. Add almost all of the chocolate chips and stir. Distribute the batter evenly into the baking tin and smooth the top with a spoon, or with your finger.
6. Measure out the peanut butter into a mixing cup and add the powdered sugar – mix to combine. Add dots of the peanut butter mixture on top of the brownie mixture in the pan and swirl with a toothpick or a knife.
7. Sprinkle the rest of the chocolate chips on top.
8. Bake in the oven for 35 – 45 minutes. You want the top to be dry and the edges to start to pull away from the sides. They shouldn’t move around when shaken.
9. Remove from the oven and let it cool in the pan for 30 minutes before serving. Remove gently with a spatula or a fork. The insides are meant to be fudgy, so don’t worry if they look moist.
You can store them in an air-tight container for a few days, or in the fridge for longer. Enjoy!
Not all of us are blessed with lovely long eyelashes, and they are something that most of us dream of having. So follow these great tips and start growing yours naturally.
- The first step to naturally longer lashes is taking care of them properly! Never go to bed with makeup on. If your eyes aren’t clean, your lashes can’t grow.
- Invest in an eyelash brush and comb them regularly.
- Use a Q-tip or a mascara brush and swipe your eyelid with Vaseline before going to bed and over time your lashes will grow thicker and longer.
- Jojoba oil, castor oil, coconut oil and olive oil are all great at making your lashes grow longer. Apply them regularly to get all the benefits of these natural oils such as minerals, vitamins and lengthening agents. Plus they moisturize your lashes too!
- Taking vitamin E supplements on a daily basis can help give you longer lashes faster.
- Massaging your eyelids can help stimulate the hair follicles which can make your lashes stronger and stop them falling out or breaking.
- Just like any other part of your body, if your diet is not very good, your eyelashes will suffer. Increase how much fruit and veg you eat, and your eyelashes (and body in general) will thank you!
- Some mascaras contain lash accelerators. Applying a coat of these each day will give you longer lashes in no time.
- If all else fails, or you want a more immediate solution, lengthening mascaras will give you longer and thicker lashes.
Knowing your skin tone can help you make informed decisions about cosmetic procedures.
Intense Pulsed Light (IPL) hair removal therapy uses optical energy to disable hair growth. The method is effective because of a hair pigment called ‘melanin’, which absorbs the energy emitted by the treatment flash and directs it towards the hair follicle, transforming light pulses into heat. The process disables the hair follicle and prevents future hair growth, allowing for long-term results.
The Fitzpatrick skin type scale is one of the most common methods of classifying skin types, and ranges from Type I to Type VI. The scale was created by Dr. Thomas B. Fitzpatrick in 1975, and has been widely used as a standard for dermatologists and skin care experts ever since. Based on this classification model, the chart provided below is a basic guideline to help you determine if IPL is right for you.
Unfortunately, IPL is not suitable for all skin tones. Naturally dark pigmented skin (or tanned skin) contains more melanin in comparison to lighter skin tones, which allows for more energy to be absorbed. As such, individuals with darker skin tones are more susceptible to burns and hyper/hypo pigmentation following an IPL treatment.
IPL is considered a safe and effective hair removal option for individuals with skin tones that are classified as Ivory, Beige, and Light Brown.
Take a look at the chart below to identify your individual skin tone and discover if your complexion is more similar to that of …
Michelle Dockery, Katie Holmes, Jessica Alba, Eva Longoria, Zoe Saldana, or Gabrielle Union.
Robert Pattinson, Jake Gyllenhaal, Ben Barnes, John Stamos, Will Smith, or Don Cheadle.
References and Research Material
These magical oils can double up as makeup removers that leave your skin, and your pocket, happy! They’re perfect for sensitive skin too.
• Cucumber slices: Not only are they great at getting rid of puffy eyes, they are also great at removing your makeup. Plus you get to feel pretty indulgent lying around with cucumber slices on your eyes, and can pretend you’re in your own private spa.
• Grape Seed Oil: Use a cotton pad to absorb the wonders that are grape seed oil and you’ll be as fresh as a daisy in next to no time. This little wonder can also prevent acne, banish wrinkles and clear up sun spots. Amazing!
• Jojoba Oil: Pronounced ho-ho-bah, not only can this be used as a makeup remover, it also makes a great moisturizer, hair mask and cuticle cream. To use as a makeup remover, mix two parts of water to one part Jojoba oil and there you have it! Goodbye makeup!
• Avocado: Not only does avocado taste great, it is also a pretty awesome makeup remover. All you need is a Q-tip and a fresh avocado. To make your makeup do a vanishing act, gently swab the avocado over you face. You’ll pick up the nourishing oils, along with omega-3 fatty acids and vitamins A, D and E found in the oil, which also make a great eye cream.
• And lastly, but by no means, Coconut Oil: Is there anything coconut oil can’t do? We think not.
Everyone has those photos that make you reach for the “untag” button as soon as they hit social media. But help is at hand! With our helpful tutorial you can learn to work the camera and make sure you stay amazing, in any photo.
- Make sure your makeup is flawless. If your foundation is the wrong shade, it will show up as soon as the flash goes off, and you can end up with a different colored face and neck. Not a good look.
- Once you’ve sorted out your foundation, next step is your eyes. Curling your lashes and adding mascara opens your eyes. The more they are open, the more they will sparkle.
- A couple of drops of eye drops will stop your eyes from drying out and make them sparkle even more.
- Next, the eyebrows. They frame your face and can make a huge difference to how you look on camera. So try filling them out with a slightly darker shade to make sure they don’t fade away.
- Bright lipstick can help make you look younger, as darker lipsticks can look aging and unflattering. They also emphasize that lovely smile of yours.
- If you don’t have any color on your cheeks your face can look a bit flat. So use a medium pink shade on your cheeks to give some shape to your face.
- But don’t go sparkly! If your face shimmers it can look like too much. If you are a sparkle addict, just go for a little highlighter with a soft sheen on the bridge of your nose and your cheekbones.
- Having said that, dusting your collarbones with a shimmer powder can give your skin a light sheen. Just stick to shimmer below the neck.
- No time to prep your face before your close up? Blot your face with a tissue and pinch your cheeks to give the impression of blush. The old tricks are the best
- 10. If you are prone to flyaways, a dry oil can help keep them in place. Use sparingly and if unsure, spray into your hands first to fight the frizz.
- For last minute hair shine, use a spray to get a high gloss look. Hold your head high and shine on.
- No one likes a double chin, so stretch out your neck, tip your chin down slightly and stick your forehead out, and goodbye double chin.
- Photos shot from slightly above also can help eliminate double chins. If you’re taller than the person taking the photo, try sitting down.
- To get a perfect smile, copy the stars: put your tongue behind your teeth when you smile to get a perfect smile every time.
- Follow further in the stars footsteps and put your hand on your hip, turn your body to the side and turn your head up to get that “red carpet” pose.
- Facing the camera face on is not the most flattering pose. Turn your head three-quarters to get a better angle.
- If you find yourself with your eyes closed in a lot of photos, close them and open them slowly before picture takes. Et voilà, no more half-closed eyes.
- To avoid that dreaded red-eye, look towards a light just before someone takes your photo.
- Looking at a light just before can also make your eyes sparkle and pop.
- But don’t stand directly under it! This will cast weird shadows on your face. Face a natural light source if possible, like a window, and this have a softer effect on your face.
- Using a prop such as a flower or another decoration can make you relax your posture and look more natural
- Standing in front of a white wall will help the camera find the right color balance, making your skin tone look great and brighten your face.
- Look at your favorite picture of yourself. What do you like about it? Try and copy that angle, that smile, that pose, if possible, in your next photo.
- Forget the “cheese”. It very rarely looks natural. Try and joke with the photographer and relax. Your natural smiles beats a fake one hands down.
- And lastly, be in more pictures! Even the top models don’t get it right on the first take. The more pictures you take, the more likely you are to be happy with one or two. And if you follow these tips, you won’t have any excuse not to like them!
Stay away from overly short or bizarre hairstyles that make you look olderhttp://www.dailymakeover.com/trends/slideshow/hair-mistakes-that-make-you-look-older/
Have 3 minutes for a really fun workout? Try this great workout combined with this song!
40 High Knees
15 Vertical Leg Crunches
10 Incline Push-Ups
20 Jumping Jacks
30 Mountain Climbers
40 Jumping Jacks
30 Russian Twists
Think spoons are just for eating? Think again. You’ll never believe these 3 beauty tips with a spoon!
Five irresistible DIY spa treatments made from ingredients you already have at home! You’re welcome.
For a relaxing bath, mix rosewater and coconut milk.
Honey and olive oil make a perfect skin moisturizer.
For a great facial/body scrub, mix honey and brown sugar together.
To get rid of redness on your face, mix together eye yolk and lemon juice.
And finally, for a lip scrub us un-pertrolum jelly and raw sugar.
This Work Out Wednesday have we ever got a combo for you! A 3 minute Zumba workout video and homemade slimming detox water. Try it out and you can thank us later.
Slimming detox water
25 mint leaves
3 slices of fresh ginger ( ½ inch each)
4-6 cups of ice
- Slice the fruit and cucumber.
- Fill a large jug or cup by layering the ice and the fruit.
- Pour over the water and leave to stand for about 45 minutes.
If you’re longing for lighter hair this summer but don’t want to use chemical filled dyes, follow these steps!
1 cup of warm water
1 tsp. sea salt
2 tsp. lemon Juice
3 tsp. coconut oil
Mini spray bottle
Put all the ingredients into the spray bottle and shake well.
Spay the mixture onto damp hair before you go to bed.
Pop on a shower cap, then in the morning wash your hair as normal.
You can also used this at the beach or when lying in the sunshine to get a lovely, natural sun-kissed look!
Now you can try it for yourself!
Our recently developed light-based device, the ELITE IPL Hair Removal system, incorporates the latest in Intense Pulse Light technology. Known as Advanced Multi-Pulse (AMP), this state-of-the-art technology works to deliver faster light pulses in one application that result in a more efficient and in depth treatment of unwanted body hair.
This innovative device is designed for both men and women and is intended for home use. ELITE comes with a disposable lamp cartridge, each equipped with between 10,000 to 50,000 flashes, depending on the selected intensity level, that work to deliver progressively permanent hair reduction. There are no interrupted sessions as these flashes can last between 2 and up to 8 full body treatments!
In addition, ELITE presents even more advantages:
- No charging time required
- Covers a larger skin surface
- Includes advanced notification features
- Operates smoothly and inaudibly
- Incorporates AMP, a new type of IPL technology for progressively permanent hair reduction results
ELITE is now available for purchase at http://www.evoderma.com.
ELITE is a safe and non-invasive method for easily getting rid of unwanted body hair and is gentle on the skin. Consult our Skin Tone Chart and see if ELITE is right for you!
Did you know that the right skin care regime helps to fight signs of facial aging? We all know that washing your face at night is important. Therefore, we’ve combined a brilliant skin care routine that works to specifically target problem areas and bring out youthful glowing skin.
STEP #1: Cleanse: Good news for your wallets: Cleansers do not need to break your bank. Dermatologists agree that since cream cleansers only stay on your skin for about 10 to 15 seconds, it’s unnecessary to purchase a costly anti-aging cleanser. Instead, stick to the drug store cleansers and avoid washing with soap bars (as these tend to dry out your skin and contribute to facial aging). Remember to cleanse your face with lukewarm water, since this opens up your pores and allows for the wash to penetrate deep into the skin. We’ve listed a couple of our favorite cleansers, just in case you need a little guidance:
For Oily Skin: Neutrogena’s oil-free acne wash pink grapefruit facial cleanser- Not only does this product smell amazing but it also removes all the excess oil from your skin! Definitely a must-have for an oily complexion.
For Dry Skin: The Body Shop’s aloe calming facial cleanser- While this one may be a tad pricier than a drugstore cleanser, this soothing face wash really adds a boost of moisture to dry and sensitive skin.
STEP #2: Exfoliate: This next step is particularly important, as it renews your skin by scrubbing away all the dead skin cells. It also helps to boost circulation and therefore prevents the appearances of fine lines and wrinkles. Exfoliation rejuvenates the look and feel of your skin by enhancing its natural glow and softness. An exfoliator can be purchased at your local drugstore, or you can check out our DIY Skin Care Blog Post for our recipe for a homemade face scrub. One of our favorite exfoliators is Soap and Glory’s Scrubatomic Daily Face Polish, available for purchase at your local drugstore or Sephora.
STEP #3: NOOME Anti-Aging Motion: To follow your exfoliation, EvoDerma has developed the perfect anti-aging device to add to your nighttime skin care regime. NOOME Anti-Aging motion was created with skin rejuvenation in mind. It works to target fine lines and wrinkles by boosting collagen and elastin levels in the face and improving blood circulation. It is the perfect device to combine with cleansing and exfoliating as it provides optimal anti-aging results.
STEP #4: Moisturize: Finish off your routine with a quality moisturizing cream or serum. As mentioned in our DIY Skin Care Blog Post, moisturizing is an important measure to take since dry skin can lead to fine lines and wrinkles. Make sure that your moisturizers include both Retinoid and Vitamin C, since these both contain anti-oxidizing agents that will help prevent signs of facial aging. An amazing cream that has been hailed by celebrities alike is ROC’s Retinol Correxion Sensitive Night Cream.
And now that your skin is cleansed, exfoliated, NOOME’d and moisturized, you are ready for your well-deserved beauty sleep.
Get lovely this Valentine’s Day with NOOME Anti-Aging Motion.
NOOME, evoDerma’s sophisticated device for facial rejuvenation, targets the signs of facial aging from the comfort of home. It works to prevent and repair skin damage caused overtime. So celebrate your beauty and step out feeling confident with a smoother, glowing complexion.
From February 7, 2014 to February 14, 2014*, receive 50% off NOOME Anti-Aging Motion when you visit www.evoderma.com. Enter code LOVE at checkout and also enjoy free express shipping with your order.
Happy Valentine’s Day; because not only is it about loving someone else, but about loving yourself too.
* Offer valid on NOOME Anti-Aging Motion only, while supplies last. Does not apply to orders shipping outside U.S. and Canada. For guaranteed delivery within U.S. and Canada by February 14, 2014, orders should be placed before February 9, 2014. Limit of one promotional code per transaction. No substitutions once the order is processed. Not valid on previous purchases, LUMI+ IPL Hair Removal system, IPL Protective Eyewear or disposable lamp cartridge purchases or in combination with any other evoDerma offers. Offer may be modified or discontinued at any time without notice.
In the middle of these cold winter months, it’s easy for our skin to be stripped of its natural moisture due to the temperature and low humidity levels. Not only can this weather create raw, red and itchy skin, but a dry complexion can also contribute to facial aging. That’s why it’s important to keep your skin hydrated when heading out into this winter wonderland.
However, we know that quality face creams and serums can be costly, so we’ve decided to share some of our favorite DIY moisturizing skin care recipes! These homemade methods consist of basic household items and are quick and easy to make, being both kind to your wallet and your busy schedule.
Before using any of these recipes, it’s important to first test them on a patch of skin to make sure that it doesn’t cause any irritations to your specific complexion.
Nourishing Oat & Honey Face Scrub
This is a quick and simple recipe that will flush away all of those dead and dry skin cells from the long winter months, while still renewing and softening your complexion. This recipe includes oatmeal, honey and milk, which all work together to exfoliate and hydrate your skin.
- ½ cup of oatmeal flakes
- 3 tbsp. honey
- 3 tbsp. milk
- 3 tbsp. water (or add until you achieve desired consistency)
- First, mix the oats into either a blender or a coffee grinder and pulse for 3 seconds
- Pour the oats into a bowl and add in the milk and water (add water until you achieve the consistency you desire)
- Add the honey and stir until all the ingredients are blended equally
- Gently scrub and massage your clean face with the mixture, using circular motions
- Rinse the mixture off with cool water and then pat your skin dry with a face towel
Moisturizing Facial Avocado Mask
This recipe works miracles on dry, aging and chapped skin. It uses naturally moisturizing ingredients such as avocados, honey, coconut oil and egg yolks. When combined, these ingredients will provide your skin with the nourishing anti-oxidizing agents that it needs to help combat dry skin and facial aging! This recipe was inspired by Julyne Derrick’s Carrot & Avocado Mask for Dry Skin
- ½ of an extremely ripe avocado
- 1 teaspoon of coconut oil (if you don’t have coconut oil, feel free to use extra virgin olive oil)
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon of honey
- Mash up the ripe avocado until it has a smooth and creamy consistency
- Mix in the coconut oil (or olive oil), egg yolk and honey until it’s all blended equally and has a homogeneous consistency
- Spread the mixture over a clean face and leave it on for 10-15 minutes
- Rinse the mixture off with lukewarm water and pat your skin dry with a face towel
- For optimal results, combine with your favorite moisturizing cream
With these recipes, you can fight off the damaging effects of the cold climate, all from the comfort of your own home. So sift through the pantry and take a trip to the kitchen to start this new moisturizing regime!
Black and white photos coloured like you’ve never seen them before!
Identify your skin
type in 5 easy
steps and be one
step closer to
beautiful looking skin!
When picking a skin cream, serum, cleanser, or toner it’s very important to pick one that’s appropriate for your unique skin type or you may be creating more problems than solving. At first, this may seem like a daunting task, especially since skin can encompass characteristics from all skin types and since the characteristics of skin are known change over time.
To help simplify the process, dermatologists and aestheticians have created 5 easy steps to help you identify your unique skin type. Hopefully, with the aid of these suggestions you’ll be well on your way to informed skin care shopping and healthy beautiful skin.
Wash your face Use a gentle cleanser to clean your skin of all oil and makeup traces. Be careful not to over wash and pat your face dry with a clean towel when finished.
Waste some time Spend an hour watching TV or on Facebook to give your skin a chance to dry and return to its natural state. During this time, take extra care not to touch your face.
Check for oil Dab your face with a white tissue. Make sure to pay attention to the T-zone (Nose and Forehead).
Determine your skin type
Identify Unique Skin Issues When choosing skin care products, it’s also vital to be aware of specific and recurring issues your skin may have. Typically, there are two problem categories that your skin can fall under:
Try out these 5 easy steps today and be closer to the beautiful radiant looking skin you have always wanted!
References and Research Material
Aloe Vera is a common main ingredient in many diverse beauty products such as face powders, hair conditioners, sunscreens, lotions, lipsticks, soaps, facial masks, and anti-wrinkle creams.
Aloe Vera, a plant extract, has been widely used for beauty care since ancient times. Its popularity is owed to its natural abundance in vitamins, amino acids, and minerals like magnesium, calcium and sodium.
So what can Aloe Vera do for your skin?
References and Research Material
The right amount of makeup in the proper color tones can accentuate the results of any skin care regimen and helps make you look years younger!
When applying makeup to cover the signs of aging, a common error is to apply too much. As a result, it can draw attention to lines and crevices and can render a cakey skin appearance.
Thanks to experts at Allure Magazine, here are a few tips to help you apply your makeup and look your best!
Dior: Hydra Life Cream Yves Saint Laurent: Radiant Touch Bobbi Brown: Cream Smashbox: Powder Bobbi Brown: Blush Laura Mercier: Eyebrow Pencil Lancome: Eclat Miracle Urban Decay: Eyeliner Sephora: Eyelash Curler Jane Iredale: Lip Fixation Smashbox: Under-Eye Primer
Now that summer is just around the corner and your long weekend plans are falling into place, it’s the perfect time to consider how you’ll take care of your skin while on the go.
Bring along these summer essentials and you’ll return from your weekend away feeling and looking years younger.
1. A stylish and summery hat shades your face from the sun and adds the perfect amount of mystery.
2. Never waste precious product again with Kate Spade Saturday’s travel bottle set. Each bottle has measurements like “The Overnighter” and “The Weekend” to help you take only what you need. Be sure to pack anti-aging cream, moisturizer, shampoo and conditioner.
3. A great bag to stow it all.
4. NOOME™ Anti-Aging Motion is small enough to tuck into any bag, and fully battery operated, so you don’t need to worry about bringing a charger or adapter! Keep up a basic anti-aging routine while you’re away from home, and you’ll return looking younger than ever.
5. A healthy, anti-oxidant rich smoothie for the road gives you the energy you need while nourishing your skin.
6. Refreshing make-up remover towlettes are a quick and easy way to cleanse your face after a long night out.
7. A natural, moisturizing sunscreen for face and body protects you from harmful UV rays.
Come on you sorry looking benchwarmers! Get up and fight back against pimples, breakouts and dry skin.
All right men, get up off the bench! You’re part of this skin care game too. Although you may be able to preserve your youthful appearance for longer than woman that does not mean that you don’t have to take care of your skin.
The quality of your skins appearance is constantly under attack by pimples, breakouts, black spots, grease, and shaving! As you may know, the best defense is a good offence. In this case, your best affront is a fantabulous skin care routine. So listen up, take notes, and get started!
Cleanse Embrace your softer side! Get rid of excess facial oil that causes breakouts and pimples by using a gentle facial cleanser once to twice daily. Try a cleanser that contains salicylic acid as it helps to penetrate through dirt, oil and dead skin cells.
Tone Bigger is not always better! Use a facial toner to reduce the size of facial pores and cool the skin. This results in a firmer and more youthful skin texture. It also helps in preventing acne and acne-related problems.
Moisturize Be smooth! A good daily moisturizer helps to provide continued hydration and increases the protection, the nourishment and the regeneration of skin.
Shaving Be Careful with your equipment! Shaving roughens your skin and has a dehydrating effect. Avoid pressing your razor too roughly against your skin and be sure to work your shaving cream into a rich lather using warm water before beginning. Once you have finished apply an after-shave lotion or an after-shave balm to re-moisturize your skin.
Sunscreen Don’t forget protection! Always wear a UVA and UVB protecting sunscreen with an SPF of 50.
As beneficial as a good skin care routine is, overall physical health is important too. Be sure to drink plenty of water, eat a healthy well balanced diet, and get regular physical exercise (and yes, all types of exercise count!).
References and Research Material
A balanced-healthy diet is the perfect companion for any skin care regimen.
Look your best this summer by adding the following essential foods to your diet. They’ll be great for your health and will do wonders for your skin!
Green and Red Peppers The natural nutrients and anti-oxidants provided by red and green peppers help to prevent the development of free radicals that contribute to skin cell damage, and premature aging. Not to mention, the high water content is great for skin!
Fish The Omega 3 fatty acids within fish help to prevent heart disease, and help to stimulate the immune system. The oils also moisturize skin and act as a natural anti-inflammatory.
- Don’t like fish? Try extra virgin olive oil for a similar effect!
Strawberries Not only are strawberries tasty and easy to prepare, but are also high in Vitamin C, which helps to fend off wrinkles and age related skin dryness.
Double the deliciousness by dipping your strawberries in dark chocolate. The high concentration of antioxidants found in cocoa beans makes it a popular anti-aging food essential.
Tomatoes Lycopene, a carotenoid helps to keep skin smooth, and may help to protect skin from painful sunburns.
- Tomatoes as well as pink grapefruit, carrots, watermelon, guava, and red peppers are all great sources for lycopene.
Tofu Tofu and other soy products such as soymilk help to preserve your skins appearance by promoting collagen production, the firming agent of skin.
Red Wine At the end of a long hard day, it’s great to relax with a glass of red wine. But did you know it also helps to improve skin texture by increasing blood flow, which helps to increase the supply of nutrients and oxygen, promoting cell turnover?
- Tea and Cocoa work too!
To get the best results, buy local organic fruits and vegetables as much as possible. As a rule, nutrients begin to break down the moment food is harvested. Buying local organic food compensates for this biological reaction, as organic food tends to have more nutrients overall and less time transpires between farm and table.
References and Research Material
When the actress turned to the side, several circular blotches were visible on her back that resemble marks left by cupping. Although it looks like she tried to cover the spots with makeup, cupping experts like Saud Hadi could confirm that she had tried the popular alternative treatment.
What is cupping ?
Cupping, also known as kyukaku, is an ancient Chinese medicinal treatment designed to resolve a variety of ailments from skin problems to infertility. Proponents compare the process to acupuncture, and claim it encourages relaxation, healthier skin, cellulite reduction and increased fertility.
With the popular “dry cupping,” small glass cups are heated, and placed on the skin. As the cups cool, they create a vacuum suction that draws blood closer the skin, purifying the
lymphatic system. The process is painless, and the unsightly marks usually heal within a week. Wet cupping, which is more common in Eastern countries, adds controlled medicinal bleeding to this suction approach.
Celebrity Cupping Trend
Jennifer Aniston isn’t the only celebrity with a passion for cupping: Gwyneth Paltrow, Victoria Beckham, Jessica Simpson, Brad Pitt and David Arquette are all fans as well.
Paltrow’s website, Goop, includes a statement from the actress describing alternative medicines as “help[ing] the body heal itself.” Gwyneth Paltrow was photographed on the red carpet several years ago with the same cupping marks that Aniston sported this week.
References and Research Material
Vacuum suction therapy actually succeeds at addressing several causes of facial aging
For those willing to experiment with the unconventional, many different anti-aging techniques exist. A quick Google search will tell you that individuals have and still do participate in seemingly odd anti-aging procedures encompassing anything from…
- Deep Penetrating Sound Waves
- Administering an electrical current
- Vacuum suction
- Facials (Bee Venom Facials, Placenta Face Masks, Bird-Poop Facials)
- Injections/Plastic Surgery
Now, the conventional skeptic may consider some if not all of these techniques wishy-washy if not down right hilarious. But, for the heck of it, let’s consider the merit of one of these practices.
Vacuum Suction Therapy
Vacuum suction therapy had its start in basic manual facial massage. It was found that using the hands to manipulate the facial tissues could be both stimulating and relaxing depending on the movements used. Based on the knowledge that facial muscle tension is a leading cause of fine lines and wrinkles, facial massage became a popular anti-aging method for removing the tension within the muscle fibres promoting the total relaxation of body and mind.
Building off of this technique and the expanding knowledge of wrinkle formation, vacuum suction therapy came into existence. This technique enhances the productivity of the lymphatic and circulatory systems, which renders several anti-aging benefits.
- The vacuum suction helps to remove harmful toxins from facial pores.
- Improved glandular activity, allows for more oil production, which moisturizes skin.
- Enhances the production of collagen and elastin the connective tissues of skin, improving skin texture.
- Increased circulatory system activity allows for more oxygen to be delivered to the facial skin cells increasing the cell turnover rate.
- The soothing massage motion of the vacuum decreases facial muscle tension.
Based on the modern-day understanding of wrinkle formation, vacuum suction therapy actually succeeds at addressing several causes of facial aging. As such, it becomes a useful anti-aging technique for both prevention and repair.
What do you think? Are you ready to start vacuuming?
References and Research Material
Although both sexes originate from the same planet, it has become clear that there are biological differences between males and females with respect to the aging-process, with men being able to preserve their youthful appearance till much later in their lives. But, what is it about the male skin-type that gives them this unfair advantage? Based on contemporary knowledge, here are few possibilities…
Moisture Male skin produces more oil and sweat, which helps keep the skin moist and wrinkle free. This is further amplified by the fact that the outer protective layer of skin, the epidermis, is 20% thicker for males in comparison to females, allowing more of the moisture to be retained.
Higher Collagen Levels Men naturally have higher collagen levels, a connective tissue that provides our skin with its strength and flexibility. As we age, and with prolonged exposure to harmful UV light, collagen begins to break down. In consequence, our skin begins to sag and wrinkle. Due to this biological advantage, men can withstand more contact with UV light, and experience more years before they begin to notice the effect on their skin.
Faster Cell Renewal As time goes by, our cell renewal rate gradually slows. This occurs because there is less blood circulating and therefore less oxygen being delivered to the skin cells. Throughout the life span, male skin in comparison to female skin tends to have a faster cell renewal rate. As a result, their skin maintains its youthful appearance for longer.
Hair Follicles Facial hair may act as a physical screen that helps to protect men from the harmful aging properties of ultraviolet light.
However, it’s not all sunshine and daisies for men. Although their unique characteristics provide them with an advantage with respect to aging, their skin type and daily-required routines do present their own set of problems. Pimples, break-outs, black spots, greasy skin, and skin damage caused by shaving are all examples of male skin issues. As such, men do need to take care of their skin like their female counterparts even though they look “peachy” longer.
References & Research Material:
As consumers, we’re constantly presented with cosmetic serums and techniques both invasive and minimally invasive that will reduce the signs of aging to give our skin a healthy, and youthful appearance.
However, the majority of these treatments are re-active rather than pre-active. By promoting a healthy lifestyle for our skin at a young age, we can minimize the amount of wrinkles that we inevitably develop.
An understanding about the biological causes of wrinkles and fine lines is the best technique available to combat their development. Wrinkles have many causes, some of which we can control.
What causes facial wrinkling?
Age. The development of wrinkles can be traced to three (3) natural processes.
- As time goes by, facial tissues become less elastic and more fragile.
- The drier, wrinkled appearance of aged skin is caused by the gradual slowing in production of collagen, elastin, and natural oils.
- The diminishing amount of fat cells in the deeper facial tissue layers causes the skin to become looser, resulting in pronounced lines and crevices.
Exposure to ultraviolet (UV) light. Exposure to harmful UV light can speed up the natural aging process, and is currently considered the primary cause for premature wrinkling. UV light is damaging because it causes collagen and elastin, the connective tissues, to break down. With the increased absence of these connective tissues, aging skin gradually begins to lose its strength and flexibility. As a result, the face begins to sag and wrinkle prematurely.
Smoking. Smoking can disrupt the skins blood supply, which consequently accelerates the aging process.
Facial Expressions. Repetitive muscle movements and natural expressions lead to the development of fine lines and wrinkles. Because of the normal and progressive loss of the skins flexibility, the tissue is no longer able to reform into a neutral expression following the use of a facial muscle. The resulting grooves then become a permanent feature on the face.
Gender. Women have fewer sweat glands and have a smaller density of blood vessels in the area around the mouth. Consequently, they have a higher tendency to develop imperfections in this area.
Poor Nutrition. Nutritional deficiencies are believed to contribute to skin aging.
From our current understanding of the development of wrinkles, a healthy and protective life-style for your skin would include:
- A nutritious balanced diet, with little-to-no smoking.
- A good beauty routine that includes a facial cream that is appropriate for your unique skin-type (preferably one with SPF protection).
- The use of a sunscreen with at least an SPF of 30 with UVA/UVB protection.
References and Research Material:
It’s unfortunate that we live in such a panicked, dysmorphic society where women don’t even give themselves a chance to see what they’ll look like as older persons. I want to have some idea of what I’ll look like before I start cleaning the slates. I want my kids to know when I’m pissed, when I’m happy and when I’m confounded. Your face tells a story…and it shouldn’t be a story about your drive to the doctor’s office. Julia Roberts
The limelight can be unforgiving, pointing out every flaw. As such, Hollywood royalties like Meg Ryan and Demi Moore feel a constant pressure to maintain a beautiful and desirable appearance. Particularly in North America, beauty is closely associated with youth. It comes as no surprise then that many aging celebrities have submitted themselves to extreme anti-aging procedures in order to survive within the entertainment industry.
Popular actors and actresses are well known for participating in invasive anti-aging procedures encompassing anything from injections, tucks, lifts, and implants. Unfortunately, many celebrities who undergo these treatments eventually end up regretting their decision, and on occasion experience adverse physical and psychological consequences.
Dana Delaney The Desperate Housewives star experienced a botched botox treatment that destroyed a nerve on her forehead, causing a muscle near her eye to misbehave. As a result, her right eye has started to droop.
Jennifer Aniston The Friends actress reports that she hated the results of her botox treatment as it minimized her ability to form facial expressions during filming. She is not the only actress to express this opinion, her co-star Courtney Cox has made similar claims as well as film star Nicole Kidman.
David Gest During the 80s, David Gest made several alterations to his appearance. He has admitted to having a nose job, 2 facelifts, cheek implants, and the insertion of an artificial cleft chin. Following his last operation, he reports looking in the mirror and being disturbed by his reflection as it was so altered from his original appearance. He has since undergone corrective surgery to return his natural appearance.
Kim Cattrall (Sex and the City) is one of many popular actresses who refuse to partake in drastic and invasive methods to control the aging process. She claims to want to embrace aging gracefully, as in her mind a wrinkle is a sign that one has lived their life.
Nevertheless, Cattrall can understand how the pressure to be desirable can lead someone to such drastic measures. Despite being adamant about not using such anti-aging techniques, Cattrall’s aging appearance has caused her to question her suitability for certain roles. Cattrall almost declined her part in the film Meet Monica Velour, as the role required her to appear without make-up, clothes, and shoes.
Other celebrities who have made public statements about refusing to participate in anti-aging plastic surgery:
References & Research Material: Kim Cattrall Celebrities who have participated in plastic surgery Celebrities who have not participated plastic surgery
I did a movie in New Mexico; it was so dry and windy and the makeup artist there suggested jojoba oil. It’ so good for your skin and healing as well Kate Walsh
What is jojoba oil?
Jojoba (pronounced ho-ho-ba) oil is a natural, liquid wax ester derived from the jojoba plant. Native Americans historically used jojoba oil to naturally treat burns, cuts and sores. Today, it has quickly become a top cosmetic ingredient due to its impressive moisturizing properties.
The liquid wax esters (tiny particles that make up the oil) in jojoba are very similar to the sebum secreted by our skin. This similarity makes jojoba the perfect moisturizer, since it can easily penetrate pores and almost never causes allergic reactions. Jojoba is also rich in Vitamins E and B, which fight free radicals and contribute to healthy skin and hair.
A dermatological study carried out by M.S. Christensen and E.W. Packman showed that jojoba oil increased the skin’s suppleness by 45%, and the effect of one application lasted for over 8 hours. Actress Kate Walsh agrees, and credits her glowing skin in part to jojoba oil, stating that it’s “so good for your skin and healing.”
Jojoba is a renewable resource, unlike mineral or baby oil, so you’ll be doing both your skin and the planet a favor. Jojoba grows well in desert environments that can’t support other kinds of agriculture, which boosts otherwise struggling economies.
How can you use Jojoba oil?
|Jojoba doesn’t evaporate like water-based moisturizers, making it a great choice for all-day comfort. If you’re hesitant to put the oil directly on your skin, you can also mix a few drops into a cream moisturizer. Jojoba is non-comedogenic, so no need to worry about clogged pores.|
|Jojoba oil’s natural cleansing properties make it a gentle make-up remover; just dab onto a cotton ball and wipe.|
|A touch of jojoba oil nourishes and repairs chapped lips.|
Hair oil / Conditioner
|You can use jojoba as a pre-shampoo oil treatment, or in the shower with your regular conditioner to soften and define your hair. Massage a few drops of oil into the ends of dry or damaged hair for lasting repair.|
|Jojoba makes an excellent massage or aromatherapy oil.|
|Some experts believe that jojoba can actually “trick” your skin into producing less oil, which often means less blemishes caused by bacteria. Its anti-bacterial and hypo-allergenic properties also benefit acne-prone skin.|
Where can you get Jojoba oil?
It’s easy to find jojoba oil in your local health food or grocery store. Jojoba oil is widely available, and inexpensive compared to essential oils. Experts suggest choosing a 100% pure, organic brand for the best results.
Christensen, M.S., and E.W. Packman. “Skin Surface Softening Effects of Jojoba and Its Derivatives.” Seventh International Conference on Jojoba and Its Uses (1988): 298-300. Web. 22 Aug. 2012.
Honey’s properties make it an ideal, do-it-yourself beauty ingredient. Not only is it a great all-natural moisturizer for skin, but you’ll also spend a fraction of the cost and look like a million dollars.
The benefits of honey for your skin have been suspected for tens of thousands of years, and are now confirmed by scientific evidence. Three exceptional properties show why honey is a great part of any beauty regimen:
- Moisturizing – Honey is a natural humectant, meaning that it attracts and retains moisture to leave skin soft and supple. These properties also encourage new tissue growth and cell renewal that rejuvenate the skin.
- Antibacterial/Antimicrobial – When honey reacts with moisture, it naturally forms a small amount of hydrogen peroxide. This hydrogen peroxide will kill any bacteria on your skin, which can help eliminate acne.
- Antioxidant – Honey contains antioxidants that fight free radicals and heart disease. Free radicals originate from environmental pollution, absorb into your skin, and then travel through your body. Detoxifying your body with dark-colored honey is a great way to get rid of these harmful toxins and metals that cause your skin to age prematurely.
Honey has also been a favorite beauty ingredient for royals since the time of Cleopatra, whose beauty routine famously included milk and honey baths. Kate Middleton is the latest royal to take advantage of honey’s moisturizing properties; she supposedly used a bee venom and honey masque to prepare for her wedding to Prince William.
You don’t need to be royalty to enjoy the benefits of honey for your health and skin. There are many homemade recipes that provide the same benefits as expensive spa treatments for just pennies.
Celebrity make-up artist and skin care expert Jackie Gomez agrees, stating, “Honey’s properties make it an ideal, do-it-yourself beauty ingredient. Not only is it a great all-natural moisturizer for skin, but you’ll also spend a fraction of the cost and look like a million dollars.” Take advantage of the all-natural and inexpensive benefits of honey by trying the two beauty treatments below.
DIY Honey Skin Care Treatments
When purchasing honey to use for skin care recipes, experts suggest choosing an unpasteurized, raw and local variety if possible. Manuka honey, made with pollen from Tea Trees in New Zealand, is also a great choice for skin care recipes due to its exceptional cleansing properties.
- Cleopatra’s Milk & Honey Bath Pour 2 cups of whole milk (or ½ c. powdered milk) and ½ cup of honey into a warm bath. Mix and enjoy.
- Moisturizing Facial Masque Combine 2 tablespoons of honey with 2 teaspoons of milk. Smooth mixture over face and throat. Leave for ten minutes, and then rinse with warm water.
References & Research Material
While it is easy to laugh at these ridiculous gizmos, modern-day gadgets prove we’re no less gullible than our ancestors.
Today, we tend to consider the union of technology and beauty to be a uniquely modern marriage. Yet strange contraptions for improving appearances to achieve societal standards have existed for centuries, as a new article points out at Collectors Weekly. In “Bizarro Beauty Products, from 1889 to Now“, author Lisa Hix runs through a selection of hilarious beauty products, from a torturous-looking ‘dimple machine’ to the contemporary FacialFlex neckline slimmer.
Perhaps just as fascinating as the antique devices themselves are the standards of beauty reflected in their aims. One striking example is 1937 advertisement for “Gain Weight Quick Ironized Yeast Tablets,” which claim to have “given thousands of scrawny girls 10 to 25 pounds of solid flesh.” While rapid weight gain is hardly desired by an average 21st century women, it is easy to recognize the timeless pursuit of beauty in these vintage devices.
Les sportifs s’épilent généralement pour plusieurs raisons, notamment pour faciliter les soins et les massages, éviter les irritations mais également pour l’image…
S’il y a un domaine où les hommes s’épilent ou se rasent en grande majorité, c’est bien le sport. Les parties les plus souvent dénuées de poils sont les jambes et les bras, et cela concerne surtout des disciplines comme le cyclisme, la natation ou la course.
Quel est le réel intérêt d’une peau glabre pour la pratique du sport ?
Beaucoup de gens répondront par le lieux commun de l’aérodynamisme, à savoir que le poil, par un frottement avec l’air ou l’eau pourrait ralentir le sportif. Or, rien n’a vraiment été prouvé concernant cela, malgré des publications, et des témoignages, parfois plausibles, parfois contradictoires.
Historiquement les coureurs se rasaient les jambes pour mieux retirer les morceaux de goudron fondus qui se collaient à leurs cuisses et à leurs mollets durant l’été. Si la pratique est si courante aujourd’hui c’est qu’elle présente bien des avantages, voyons lesquels :
- Pour le soin : Quelque soit le sport, on n’est jamais à l’abri d’un accident, et avoir une peau lisse se révèle plus pratique. Tout d’abord on peut plus facilement retirer de la peau des corps étrangers qui s’y seraient incorporés. Sachant que les chutes ne sont pas rares dans de nombreux sports, il est aussi plus facile de désinfecter ses blessures, les poils ne retenant pas les microbes. Ensuite, cela permet une application plus fluide et moins douloureuse de crème ou de lotion. Et enfin, retirer un pansement est forcement plus agréable sans poils !
- Pour éviter les irritations : Cela concerne surtout des sports où l’on porte une combinaison bien serrée. Le vêtement étant bien près du corps comme les cuissards des cyclistes doublés au niveau de l’assise, les poils, s’il y en a, vont être enclins à frotter et provoquer des brûlures pouvant aller jusqu’à l’arrachement la peau.
- Pour les massages : Dans beaucoup de disciplines, les sportifs ont besoin de massages, de la part de kinésithérapeutes ou non, pour préparer ou détendre leurs muscles. Or, avec des poils, le frottement est augmenté et cela peut avoir des conséquences pour le masseur ou le massé, telles qu’une irritation de la peau. De plus les poils limitent la pénétration de gels massants en les retenant.
- Pour l’image : Cette raison peut sembler la plus anodine, pourtant elle a son importance. En effet, dans le prolongement de l’esprit de compétition, les sportifs veulent projeter une image imposante, et on sait par exemple que les muscles sont mieux dessinés et ressortent plus sans poils. Ned Tobey, triathlète amateur sur la course Ironman le résume en ces termes : “Les autres cyclistes vous prendront moins au sérieux si vos jambes ne sont pas épilées… quelle qu’en soit la raison, c’est une histoire de crédibilité.“
Les sportifs et particulièrement les cyclistes sont donc enclins à s’épiler les jambes. Ils utilisent habituellement la méthode du rasage, l’épilation à la cire ou encore des methodes plus efficaces comme le laser ou la lumière pulsée IPL.
Réferences & recherches
Intense pulsed light, as known as IPL, works by gently flashing a bright light against the skin, which eliminates the risk of cuts, itchiness, razor burn or undesirable odors.
What annoys you most about traditional methods for removing body hair?
Discover some of the most common frustrations caused by shaving, waxing or sugaring, chemical depilatories and mechanical epilation.
Shaving is both one of the oldest and most common methods of hair removal, but that doesn’t mean that it is the best choice.
- Ingrown hairs & razor burn – We’ve all seen those unsightly bumps that occur when hairs with sharp ends from the razor grow inwards into the skin.
- Itchiness – The sensation of stubble growing in, especially on sensitive body parts, is one we’d like to skip.
- Cuts – Ouch!
- Only lasts a few days
Waxing or Sugaring
Waxing is an ancient technique in which the hair is pulled from the root. Sugaring follows the same process, but uses a sugar mixture to remove unwanted hair and is somewhat less painful.
- Painful – Ask anyone who has experienced a Brazilian, and they’ll tell you the truth: waxing hurts!
- Ingrown hairs
- Risk of Burns from hot waxes
- Increases wrinkles – the stretching and pulling involved can encourage skin to wrinkle prematurely or deepen existing wrinkles
- Must allow regrowth – salons suggest hairs should be approximately ¼ inch long before waxing
- Expensive – Having a professional regularly wax or sugar legs, underarms, and bikini line costs $1,035 – $1,500 each year.
These creams or gels use chemicals like calcium thioglycolate to dissolve undesirable hair, and have been produced since the 1970s.
- Unpleasant smell
- Irritating – the chemicals in depilatories can cause inflammation and rashes
- Only lasts a few days – just like shaving, depilatories only remove the hair at the surface of the skin, so regrowth occurs quickly.
These automatic hair-plucking machines pull out hairs as they are moved over the body.
- Painful – Epilators usually pluck between 5-40 hairs at once, and so the process can be extremely painful compared to methods that remove larger amounts of hair in one pull. Mechanical epilators can also accidentally pinch the skin instead of hair follicles, which is extremely painful.
- Ingrown hairs
Eliminating unwanted body hair shouldn’t be frustrating or painful – consider more permanent options like Intense Pulsed Light (IPL) technology. This advanced technique is clinically proven to reduce unwanted hair, and avoids many inconveniences of more temporary methods. IPL works by gently flashing a bright light against the skin, which eliminates the risk of cuts, itchiness, razor burn or undesirable odors. Best of all, some IPL devices can be used to reduce unwanted hair in the comfort of your own home, leaving skin soft and radiant.
References & Research Material
Pendant qu’elle masse ses tibias et ses coudes avec des capsules de vitamine E, Jennifer Aniston applique ainsi un traitement Rénova à base de vitamine A, qu’elle laisse agir 10 minutes.
Emma Reynolds for dailymail.co.uk
La popularité des compléments alimentaires remplis de vitamines ou de molécules nécessaires à notre corps tend à nous faire oublier qu’il est très facile de se les procurer de façon naturelle à travers nos aliments quotidiens.
Une nouvelle étude sur la vitamine A a récemment fait les gros titres. En effet, elle nous révèle qu’elle offre encore plus de bienfaits que ce qu’on en connaissait auparavant.
Elle permet par exemple de prendre soin de notre peau ou même de nos yeux et elle joue un rôle vital pour plusieurs autres fonctions importantes de notre corps telles que :
- Une bonne santé des cellules
- Une amélioration du système immunitaire
- Une diminution du risque de cancers, congestions cérébrales et maladies cardiaques
On peut noter qu’en plus d’être un antioxydant majeur la vitamine A semble avoir un impact important sur le plus mortel des cancers de la peau, le Mélanome, car selon de récentes études, les femmes qui prennent de la vitamine A ont 60% moins de risques d’attraper cette maladie fatale.
Nul besoin donc de se procurer des compléments purement artificiels pour avoir un bon apport en vitamine A, il suffit simplement de s’assurer de manger les aliments suivants :
- Les légumes oranges comme par exemple les patates douces et les carottes
- Les végétaux à feuilles tels que les épinards, les brocolis et la salade romaine
Réferences & recherches
Vitamine A: effets, bienfaits
Fiche doctissimo sur la vitamine A
La vitamine A : alliée de la peau
Avis d’experts: Des crèmes vitaminées pour une peau radieuse
les secrets de beauté de Jennifer Aniston et ses soins de peau à base de vitamine A et vitamine E
Aucune substance connue en médecine ne possède plus de propriétés curatives que l’alpha tocophérol (vitamine E). Dr Evan V. Shute
Un récent article de WebMD montre à nouveau que la vitamine E fait partie des vitamines les plus puissantes pour contrer les effets néfastes de l’exposition au soleil.
Elle contient de plus un important niveau d’antioxydants qui permettent de réduire le dangereux impact des radicaux libres. Ces produits de la polution qui pénètrent la peau, l’oxydent et seraient responsables de son vieillissement prématuré.
Les bienfaits de la vitamine E ne se limitent pas qu’à cela, on peut ainsi noter :
- Une régulation de la vitamine A
- Une protection solaire
- Un traitement de problèmes de peau tels que les vergetures, le psoriasis, l’érythème, les cicatrices et les taches de vieillesse, l’acné
Comme pour la vitamine A, pas besoin de compléments, la vitamine E se trouve en bonne quantité dans plusieurs aliments naturels. En voici quelques exemples qui peuvent facilement être intégrés aux repas et aux collations :
- Fruits - Myrtilles, Pommes, Mangues et Avocats
- Légumes – Patates douces, asperges, épinards et tomates
- Huiles – Huile d’amande, huile de tournesol et huile de germe de blé
- Autres – Céréales, olives, pâtes, œufs et Noix
Réferences & recherches
La VITAMINE E sur “Vitamine E – Votre santé par la nature”
Antioxydants, les suppléments
Où trouve-t-on la vitamine E ?
Fiche doctissimo sur la vitamine E
Zooey Deschanel astuces beauté vitamine E, antioxydants
Summer is here in full force, and it’s a great time to consider how our individual skin tone impacts the cosmetic and health choices we face when the sun is out. Understanding your own skin type is crucial to maintaining healthy and beautiful skin this summer. The Fitzpatrick skin type scale is one of the most common methods of classifying skin types, and ranges from Type I to Type VI. The scale was created by Dr Thomas B. Fitzpatrick in 1975, and has been widely used as a standard for dermatologists and skin care experts ever since.
Your own Fitzpatrick skin type is determined by both genetics and your skin’s reaction to sun exposure. Naturally fair-skinned people who sunburn quickly will have lower skin type numbers, while men and women with darker skin tones and a higher tolerance for sun exposure will be closer to the higher end. Discover your own Fitzpatrick skin type by checking out the chart below, or consulting your dermatologist.
The lower your Fitzpatrick skin type number, the more vigilant you should be in protecting your skin from the sun since you have a higher risk of sun damage like photoaging and possibly skin cancer. Cosmetics with built-in SPF protection, seeking the shade outside, or stylish hats and cover-ups are all great choices for women with skin types I-IV this summer. Although somewhat less vulnerable to sun damage, women with skin types V-VI should also take steps to protect themselves, such as always applying sunscreen before hitting the beach and scheduling a yearly check-up with a dermatologist.
Knowing your skin type can help you make informed decisions about everything from cosmetic products and procedures to understanding your risk for skin disease. Take a look at the chart below to see where your individual skin tone falls on the Fitzpatrick scale and just for fun, find out if your celebrity skin twin is Emma Stone, Lucy Liu, Sandra Bullock, Freida Pinto, Beyoncé or Naomi Campbell.
References & Research Material
Fun, Informative Quiz Determines Skin Type and Celebrity
The Fitzpatrick Scale: How to Type Your Skin Tone Like a Dermatologist
Canadian Dermatology Association
Fitzpatrick, TB. “The Validity and Practicality of Sun-Reactive Skin Types I Through Vi.” Archives of Dermatology. 124.6 (1988): 869-71. Print.
When new-age light-based hair removal methods were introduced to consumers, the media greatly exaggerated the results that could be achieved. Flash-forward to 2012 and you will find that many of the manufacturers providing light-based technologies have changed their tune to a more accurate promise of permanent hair reduction, leaving many of us wondering why…? Perhaps it’s the inconsistency of the results achieved, based on inappropriate choice of treatment type, or even lack of knowledge about the technology. Until the light-based hair removal industry matures enough to require federal regulations in Canada, people must learn to ask more questions from cosmetic service providers so they can make informed decisions. In the meantime, let’s get the basics out of the way:
Three Types of Hair Removal
No light-based hair removal treatments can be considered absolutely permanent in removing hair. Permanent results are false promises because occurrences like hormonal changes or medications have strong potential to alter any “permanent” results. Both Laser and IPL hair removal are considered methods of permanent hair reduction. All of the available hair removal options can be separated into three categories, Depilation (removal of hair above the skins surface), Epilation (Removing the entire hair from the root) and Permanent Reduction (long-term growth reduction).
- Depilation – Considered temporary, lasts a few hours to a few days
- Epilation – Considered temporary, lasts several days
- Permanent Reduction – Considered permanent, lasts from months to years
What Does Permanent Hair Reduction Mean?
There are several imperfect hair removal options under the “permanent” hair reduction category. These options include light-based hair removal, prescription oral medications and various topical solutions. Continued use of these options can give users hair re-growth that appears lighter in color and thinner in texture. The continued use of these treatments also delivers re-growth that grows back slower over time.
IPL is effective at eliminating hair growth only in hair follicles in the Anagen, or growth phase. This is when the hair is still growing and attached to the root, allowing the IPL light to effectively target the melanin with its rays and disable the growth via thermal heat. The perceived value in this, is that one does not have to remove unwanted hair on a daily, weekly or monthly basis anymore. With repeated treatments, most of the hairs become disabled, resulting in thinner and lighter re-growth that requires minimal touchups to maintain.
References & Research Material
Spring is here, which means summer is right around the corner! Slathering on the right sunscreen will help to protect your skin from harmful ultraviolet radiation and in-turn keep your skin glowing (rather than peeling…) under the suns’ warm rays. Going without sunblock results in overexposure to UV, which is linked to un-pleasantries such as sunburns, premature skin aging, eye problems (cataracts) and the weakening of the immune system.
Choosing the right sunscreen is a delicate task; with some many choices one should probably do some research beforehand. There are three things to be aware of:
- You should buy a high quality product with The Skin Cancer Foundation’s Seal of Recommendation which guarantees that the product meets the highest standards for safety and effectiveness.
- Try to choose a minimum of SPF 30 or more and FYI:
SPF 15 blocks 93% of all incoming UVB rays
SPF 30 blocks 97% of all incoming UVB rays
SPF 50 blocks 98% of all incoming UVB rays
- Always choose a broad spectrum product that protects your skin from both UVA & UVB rays
- Re-apply often
- Choose a spray canister for complete coverage
After sun exposure, re-hydrate your skin with Aloe Vera gel, a natural remedy for sunburns or moisture-deprived skin, which will help repair any damage from the suns’ rays. There is no such thing as 100% protection from the sun, using combining prevention methods (sunscreen) and after-care (Aloe), along with hats and sunglasses will give you the best overall protection from the sun this summer. Find out more using the following links:
References & Research Material
A recent article on WebMD proclaims Vitamin E is among the most important new dermatologic discoveries in the power of vitamins to counteract the effects of sun exposure. Discovery Health also goes into detail about this vitamin’s high levels of antioxidants, which are now commonly known to have a fantastic effect on your skin. Not only can you enjoy the benefits through enhanced skin-care products, you can also reap them by consuming natural foods with high contents of Vitamin E.
Antioxidants neutralize the oxidant effect of free radicals. Free radicals come from pollution, absorb into your skin, and then travel through your body. Detoxifying your body is a great way to get rid of these harmful toxins and metals that (without flushing) tend to build-up inside your body and cause harm to your tissues and cell walls. Free radicals are believed to play an important role in premature skin aging and therefore antioxidant activity is quite valuable for this skin problem. Not only can this vitamin help fight free radicals, check out all these other skin-care benefits you can find in Vitamin E:
- Regulates Vitamin A
- Sun Protection
- Treat Skin Problems; Stretch Marks, Psoriasis, erythema, Scars, Age Spots
Skip the supplements and eat right, shop where you can buy natural foods and fresh, organic, local produce. Try to consume more of the foods that provide multiple health benefits, ones that are packed full of antioxidants, vitamins and of course minerals. Here’s some healthy ideas you can easily incorporate into your diet, that are packed full of Vitamin E:
- Fruits: Blueberries, Apples, Mangoes & Avocadoes
- Veggies: Sweet Potatoes, Asparagus, Spinach & Tomatoes
- Oils: Almond Oil, Sunflower Oil & Wheat Germ Oil
- Other: Fortified Cereals, Olives, Pasta, Eggs & Nuts
These foods will help your skin fight off premature fine lines and wrinkles. They will also help to even out your complexion (dark spots included) and increase the youthfulness and vitality of your skin through eliminating harmful toxins from your body. A healthy body means healthy skin, so treat your body right from the inside out!
References & Research Material
What’s the Big Idea?
Many health care professionals suggest avoiding light-based hair removal during pregnancy due to the lack of information about the effects on the fetus. There has not yet been a single study regarding pregnant women (for obvious reasons) and the potential side effects of modern hair removal methods since the birth of the technology.
What’s the Issue?
Many pregnant women have similar complaints with regards to hair growth. Raging hormones play a huge role in the growth of new hair in un-wanted places and those places are often hard to reach with a bulging belly. Something many non-mothers certainly take for granted is the ability to shave one’s legs, by oneself.
Women often struggle with hair removal during pregnancy because there aren’t many safe options available. Women who are either pregnant or nursing should not be using permanent hair removal methods like laser, Intense Pulsed Light (IPL) and electrolysis for hair removal. Shaving is often out of the question, especially during the last trimester, as getting in and out of the bath can be quite difficult without help.
What’s a Safe Alternative?
Sugaring is a temporary hair removal solution for hair removal similar to (albeit much less painful) than waxing. It is an ancient Egyptian hair removal method that’s all natural and totally safe! Try following this all natural sugaring recipe, compliments of renowned non-toxic and green living expert, Annie B.Bond:
- 2 cups sugar
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- ¼ cup water
The only equipment you will need is a candy thermometer, a Popsicle stick, clean, loosely woven, cotton fabric strips and perhaps a really nice friend or family member! This temporary solution is a safe way to carry you through your pregnancy, until you can finally resume much more permanent IPL treatments with evoDerma’s LUMI™.
References & Research Material
Gone are the days of prickly stubble and raggedy old tees. Many men these days are taking a much more detailed approach to their hair, hygiene and beauty regimens, adding new routines like moisturizing, exfoliating and body hair removal to the roster. These hotties (having been encouraged by women) have developed a strong esthetic sense along with an interest in enhancing their personal appearance. The urban definition of metro describes a man who carefully grooms himself, chooses quality products and impeccably fashionable clothes. This modern and sexy look is creating quite the stir, as many people explore the reasoning behind this shift in personal perception and awareness.
A Metro Identity
Think Brad Pitt, Ryan Goseling, Justin Bieber. These ‘pretty boys’ are a new specimen of man that closely resembles a Calvin Klein model. He regularly works out, tans and maybe even professionally trims his eyebrows. He’s not scared to get a pedicure and he prefers to remove his unwanted body hair To top it off, this hottie also has an innate fashion sense and expensive tastes in clothing and he smells amazing! Now, this may come as a complete surprise to some people, but there’s a reason why some of the most popular celebs in Hollywood are a part of this growing crowd; the ladies really dig the look!
A Media driven, Sociocultural Influence?
In a most recent publication of the popular women’s magazine Cosmopolitan, one article discussed the sudden rise of the metrosexual male. The big idea was centered on metrosexual celebrities like David Beckham, who are dominating advertising campaigns everywhere. He’s actually had such success with modeling underwear; he’s now come out with his own body wear line for H&M. It is certainly no secret that Hollywood is a breading ground for metro sexuality, with stars like David leading the pack. The media instantly picked-up on the popularity of these metrosexual men and heavily marketed the look to consumers, much like they did with women decades ago. Men didn’t mind then and women certainly aren’t complaining now!
References & Research Material
Brief History of Hair Removal
What type of image do you typically like to project to others? You most likely aim to project a clean, well groomed, and put-together appearance. Is this just a personal preference or slow shift in societies’ perception of what is beautiful? It’s funny to think that just a few hundred years ago, most people hadn’t yet adapted to modern hair removal methods, or even hair removal in general. Many theorists would profess American culture, the rise of the media and even technology advancements amongst the many culprits responsible for the hair-less revolution.
Ancient Hairless Societies
The ancients had it right. Egyptians, Greeks and Romans all developed an early fancy for hair-less-ness and their hair-less statues and paintings attest to that. In fact, these hair removal pioneers formed the basis for most modern day hair removal methods, with many still being used today. These various civilizations were effective at creating innovative solutions given their limited resources. They used tools like pumice stones, threads, sandpaper-like mitts and sugar-based pastes to remove unwanted hair. Native Americans would even resort to clam-shell tweezing to remove unwanted hair, however the 1900’s would bring new advancements to the world of modern day hair removal.
Modern Day Hair-Less Revolution…
Since the beginning of history, the links between ancient beauty rituals and class privilege are quite evident. Both men’s facial hair removal and women’s body hair removal often served as an indicator of class. Perhaps this is why modern-day businessmen maintain a closely shaved beard, or why hair-free skin on women is often considered attractive. These days, it seems as though total hair removal is the name of the game, with both men and women opting for an overall smoother look.
…Fueled by the Media?
A 1920’s publication of Harper’s Bazaar featured an advertisement for a razor manufacturer, which promoted attractive women with smooth underarms (a relatively new look for the times) and many believe this probably started a hairless trend in North American women for both esthetic and hygienic reasons. US Razor blade sales actually doubled within the first two years of this ad’s release, which is a clear indicator of the media’s broad reach. Nowadays, it is no longer acceptable for North American women or men to have unruly hair growth thanks to the media and the continued contributions of ancient hair removal methods.
References & Research Material
Not only is Intense Pulsed Light (IPL) a great hair reduction method for women, it also works just as well for men. A recent article regarding popular hair removal methods on AskMen.com suggests that the modern-day man is now just as motivated as the everyday female to reduce unwanted hair. Whether it is eyebrow shaping, chest hair trimming or waxing that annoying neck and back hair, men have certainly warmed up to the idea of smooth skin on their own bodies as well as their ladies’.
It makes no difference what ethnic back